| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Built in 1597 by Henri IV's Financial superintendant Nicolas de harlay, THis castle was owned afterwards under the reign of Louis XIII by Charles de Valois Which finalized the actual design.|
After the french revolution it was owned by Barras, one the the Directoire's leaders and at last by Maréchal Berthier who gave the castle his napoleonian touch.
It's now a great equestrian cen...
|The fortress of Gisors is primarily famous for its bonds with the history of Templiers. Entrusted to the guard of the latter by the king of France Louis VII of 1158 to 1160, it became also the prison of the last main head of the Order, Jacques de Molay, in 1314. What to form a legend!||01/16/2006||323|
|Built in 1646, Maisons-Laffitte castle is the work of the distinguished architect François Mansart. A perfect example of the French classical style of architecture with characteristic decor and main staircase, it comprises the King's apartments, the 17th century mirroded room, the Comte d'Artois' dining room designed by Bélanger, and the bed chambers of Marechal Lannes and Jacques Laffitte.||01/15/2006||368|
|Built in XVIIth century, The old castle was pulled down in 1764 and a new one was erected and doubled in size at the same place in 1782.|
This new castle was pulled down again at the end of XIXth century and the place was forgotten for a while.
It then revived when a 3rd castle was built just nearby in 1849 for duke of Uzés by architects Froelicher and Clément Parent. This new plac...
|The Italian renaissance-style Château de Ferrières was built between 1855 and 1859 under the aegis of Baron James de Rothschild, in order to exhibit invaluable collections of works of art and to serve as the setting for sumptuous feasts. |
It is surrounded by 125-hectare grounds regarded as one of France's finest English-style gardens, where rare species of plant, lawns and water features...
|The castle was built in 1883, for M. Bragas, a Parisian banker, in the so-called Néo-Renaissance style, where there was in the past a medieval building.|
The castle, owned by the Breteuil family at the end of the 19th century, was rented from 1946 by a dutch association in order to create a permanent education center. The initial aim of the center was to train dutch farmers who wished to ...
|Situated 35 km South-West of Paris, between Versailles and Rambouillet, Dampierre Castle is certainly one of the main jewels in the listed Vallée de Chevreuse.|
Set deep in the valley ,the present château takes on the exact shape of the landscape. As in Versailles, the transition is adjusted between Nature and Man's work.
This classical chateau was built by Jules Hardouin Mansart f...
|The Marais site used to belong to Sully, Henri IV's great counsellor, who lived in the somptuous Hurault mansion castle (only staves and dunjeon still exist nowadays).|
The duchess of Talleyrand bought the Marais Chateau in 1899 from the duchess of Noailles. After the German occupation, she has begun to restore the Marais chateau.
|About thirty kilometers southern Paris, nested in a magnificent park, stays the castle of Courson-Monteloup.|
The castle is perfectly integrated in the park landscape, designed at the origin between the XVIIIth and XIXth centuries by the famous landscape gardener Louis-Martin Berthault, then restyled by the brothers Denys et Eugêne Bühler and finally by Ernest de Caraman during the XXth c...
|The Polignac fortress belonged to the biggest family of Velay and one of the most illustrius of France. It was first built in the 11 century. The 32m tower was actually a dungeon built during the 14th century.|
Polignac is situated in Auvergne near the town of Le Puy en Velay.
|Dating from the 13th century, the château de La Brède became property of Jacques de Secondat de Montesquieu around the end of the 17th century.|
Charles Louis de Secondat, baron de La Brède et de Montesquieu, also know as Montesquieu, was born in this Castle in 1689.
As of today, the castle has remained property of Montesquieu’s descendants.
The castle is of gothic style and...
|Chateaux by departement|
Updated 08.03.06: This file doubles the size of the previous 350 Chateaux. It also makes minor corrections and now has data from all of the departments of France.
|The listed as Historical monument is located on an island which was once surrounded by fortifications and only accessible via its two bridges. An ancestor of the owner Nicolas de Vallois d'Escoville acquired the château in 1538. The building still display its proud postern and a perfectly restored 15th century drawbridge facing the remains of the elegant 16th chateau; They are beautiful floral ...||01/10/2006||337|
|Located at 28 km far from Paris in the Hurepoix county, the house overlooks the Salmouille river. This historical estate is opened to visits. |
The house, the seven yards and the park frame a near perfect square. The estate was started in 1612 by François Dupoux, one the king’s lawyers. At the end of the 18th century, the estate was bought by Mrs Charron , a general counselor ‘s widow. Sh...
|Built in 1631 by the famous architect François Mansart, the château de Balleroy has undergone extensive restoration and refurnishment.|
In 1969, Malcolm Forbes fell in love with the Château de Balleroy situated in Normandy, France, and acquired it in 1970. In 1975, a converted stable became the world’s first museum dedicated to ballooning.
In his lifetime, Malcolm Forbes collected ...
|Located of top of a hill ,this marvelous place is now partly the countryhome of the international Rochefort golf||01/07/2006||381|
|The castle of Dourdan was built around 1222 for Philippe Auguste. Kings and high lords were the successive owners. At the end of the XVIIe century, it was given to the duke of Orleans which transformed it into prison. This function remained until 1852. This fortress, classified Historic building in 1964, is a remarkable example of military architecture which preserved its courtines, its turns, ...||01/07/2006||303|
|Coudray Salbart is an exceptional castle, initially by its fast evolution and changes of program which one affected over one short period (a little more of the quarter of century). Its architecture is deeply influenced by the Plantagenet uses: Profiles of the turns in fine, which one finds with the castle of Loaches before 1205. The principal part of the castle shows a flanked quadrangular encl...||01/07/2006||298|
|Surrounded of water of its pond, this castle built out of reddish schist at the end of XIVe century, preserved its medieval aspect. Significant a châtelet flanked turrets in corbelling orders the entry of it. In the surroundings, you have the possibility of visiting the tomb of Merlin and the Fountain of Youth in the medium of the forest of Paimpont the antique forest of Brocéliande.|
|Impressive fortress built and altered in XIIIe and XVe centuries at the edge of the ocean, the castle of Suscinio was one of the favorite residences of the dukes of Brittany. Passed to the crown of France in 1520, the castle fell little by little ruins some and, sold like national good with the Revolution, was used then as stone quarry. The general council of Morbihan, owner since 1965, underto...||01/05/2006||268|
|The "Castello Seeschloss" is a medieval castle from the 13th century, with modern amenities and a very special romantic castle atmosphere. The defiant castle, the church in the center of town, and the well-preserved building fronts along main streets are typical Nidau sights. In the Middle Ages, Nidau was the symbol of Bernese might holding sway over the villages and hamlets of the lake country...||01/05/2006||360|
|The town’s name is derived from the Celtic word moriduno, meaning “lakeside fortress”. Fire in 1416 led to rebuilding in stone, a useful move since, shortly after, in June 1476, Murten allied itself with Bern and Fribourg against the Burgundians and found itself facing down a concerted siege from Charles the Bold. The town hung on for thirteen days, whereupon a Bernese force arrived from over t...||01/05/2006||326|
|The Grasburg is the biggest preserved ruin in the canton of Berne. It dates from the 11th and 12th centuries and was run by the Dukes of Zähringen at the time. In the centuries that followed it had several different owners and many of these extended the castle to suit their needs. When the 'Amtshaus' was built in Schwarzenburg towards the end of the 16th century, the Grasburg was abandoned as t...||01/05/2006||677|
|A bunch of forts around Przemysl in Galicia province at the border between Russian and Hungary-Austrian Empires according to 1914 fortifications map (some of them are now totally erased)||01/05/2006||543|
|Situated in a 50-acre park, including 5 acres of gardens on the border of the Sologne region, Blancafort Castle is 30 minutes away from Sancerre and its wineries, and 5mm away from the Museum of Witchcraft.|
Erected in the 15th Century by the de Boucard family on the site of an ancient Seigniory already existing in the 11th Century, and later transformed in the 17th Century, this handsome...