| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Castle Heemstede is a castle in the municipality houten, at the gelijknamige place of residence Heemstede. The house was built in 1645 in Dutch Classistische style. There is a restaurant inside, wich has got on star in the Michelin restaurant guide. ||07/27/2006||364|
|The castle was build from 1793 to 1800. Heinrich Christoph Jussow designed it like the english knight castles. ||07/27/2006||338|
|This is a replacement file for already existing one.|
The first fortifications of Rocroi were constructed by Henri II in the 16th century. The French King had a pentagonal, bastionned wall built around the town. The decision to fortify Rocroi was made when the Emperor Charles V began the construction of Fort Charlemont at Givet.
In 1643, the Spanish attempted to invade Fra...
|Colbert, the naval minister of Louis XIV decided in 1666 to build a major naval shipyard and arsenal in Rochefort, leading to a complete overhaul of the coastal fortifications of the Aunis county.|
Among these fortifications, it was decided to build a fort at the headland of the Chapus near the village of Bourcefranc. This fort had the task of preventing any naval circumvallation...
|Previously built by order of Richelieu against Protestants standing in La Rochelle, then modified by Vauban, this 17th-century fortress is the oldest fortification of the Île de Ré. ||07/24/2006||414|
|Originally the town consisted of two separate centres with no obvious link until the 15th century. A small western settlement, established in the 10th century by Count Baudouin II of Flanders, was protected against Viking raids by a circular enclosure comprising an earth bank and water-filled ditch. To the east a keep was probably erected in the 11th century on the 'Groenberg', the green hill, ...||07/24/2006||356|
|Saint-Martin-de-Ré became famous during one of the nemerous wars between france and England in 17th century. A single citadel was then built by order of Richelieu to control access of La Rochelle.|
In 1627, just after the completion, the duke of Buckingham landed his forces at Sablonceaux to help La Rochelle (a protestant town at that time). Marshal de Toiras was forced to retreat into t...
|As the capital of the Romanized Celtic tribe the Lingones, it was called Andematunnum, then Lingones, and now Langres.|
The town is built on a limestone promontory of the same name. This stronghold was originally occupied by the Gauls, and, at a later date the Romans fortified the town belonging to the Celtic tribe the Lingones; Andemantunum the strategic cross-roads of twelve Rom...
|This unusual arrangement of four castle towers (Las Tours, The Towers)standing as a unique fortification belonged to the Lords of Cabaret, who held in fief from the Trencavels.|
In the thirteenth century there were only three towers here, built on the same rocky outcrop. They are called Cabaret (to the north), Surdespine and Quertinheux (to the south). The towers stand on a hill crest a...
|Saint-Malo during the Middle Ages was a fortified island at the mouth of the Rance River, controlling not only the estuary but the open sea beyond. The promontory fort of Alet, south of the modern centre in what is now the Saint-Servan district, commanded approaches to the Rance even before the Romans, but modern Saint-Malo traces its origins to a monastic settlement founded by Saint Aaron and ...||07/21/2006||530|
|In 1221, the first castle of Montmédy has been built on top of a hill by Lord de Chiny. Montmédy became soon the capital of his territory - later it belonged to Luxemburg, Burgundy, Austria and Spain.|
The original castle was replaced with a fortress by Karl V in the 16th century. After Marville and Stenay had been occupied by the French, 30,000 soldiers, including King Louis XIV, attacke...
|This very impressive and very fortified hilltop site overlooks the Durance river, 4 km west of Guillestre. Mont-Dauphin (variously spelled Mont Dauphin and Montdauphin) is the smallest geographical commune in the department, with a total of 58 ha.|
The site commands an impressive view in all directions, and there are open grassy areas to wander while enjoying scenery of the surrounding mo...
|During the Roman period, it seems the island was connected to the continent at low tide. She finally took her current shape around 1500.At the end of the 12th century, France and England fought for the possession of the island. Until 1286, the island was located at the boundary between the French and the English "Saintonge", formed by the estuary of the Charente River.|
During the Hundred...
|Carcassonne (Carcassona in Occitan) is a fortified French town, in the Aude department. |
It is separated into the fortified Cité de Carcassonne and the more expansive lower city, the ville basse. Fortifications consists of a double ring of ramparts and 53 towers.
The folk etymology, involving a châtelaine named Carcas, a ruse ending a siege and the joyous ringing of bells ("Carcas...
|Bernhard II. was born 1140 in the Castle Lipperode and he died 1224 in Mesothen. He was a follower of Henry the Lion. The castle has been destoyed in 1177 by enemies from cologne.||07/20/2006||505|
|Guérande is a city of c. 10,000 inhabitants, located on the Guérande peninsula, 80 km west of Nantes and 6 km north of La Baule, the most important sea resort in the area.|
The city is still surrounded by walls built in the XIV-XVth centuries. On 12 April 1365 was signed in Guérande the treaty which ended the Breton Succession War. In 1488, duchess Ann of Brittany signed in Guéran...
|Sermoneta is a small and cute village located on the hills behind Latina, in the Lazio region in Italy.|
The castle is reported being built in the half of XIII century.
Additional info about Sermoneta and the castle can be found at: http://www.sermoneta.it/
|Toul was known to the Romans as Tullum Leucorum, and was the capital of the Gaulish tribe of the Leuci.|
In 870, by the Treaty of Meersen, Toul became part of East Francia, the later known as Holy Roman Empire. During the High Middle Ages, it became an imperial free city. Toul was annexed to France by King Henry II in 1552; this was recognized by the Holy Roman Empire in the Peace...
|Aigues-Mortes is a town and commune in the Gard département, in southern France, famous for the well-preserved city walls surrounding the city.|
The foundation of the city is attributed to Marius Caius, around 102 BC, but the first document mentioning a place called "Ayga Mortas" (dead waters) dates from the 10th century.
Louis IX of France (Saint Louis) rebuilt the...
|The town of Bitche, which was formed of the villages of Rohr and Kaltenhausen in the 17th century, derives its name from the old stronghold (mentioned in 1172 as Bytis Castrum) standing on a rock some 80 m. above the town.|
The citadel, which had been constructed by Vauban on the site of the old castle after the capture of Bitche by the French in 1624, had been destroyed when it w...
|Broughty Castle is a historic castle in Broughty Ferry, Scotland, completed around 1495 Although the site may have been first fortified in 1454 when the fourth Earl of Angus received permission to build on the site. The main tower house forming the centre of the castle with four floors was built by Lord Gray who was granted the castle in 1490. ||07/16/2006||685|
|This fortress has been strongly wanted by Pope Giulo II at the beginning of the XVI century, to improve the defense of the town from the pirates that were coming through the sea. The architect was Bramante, but he died in 1514 before the entire fortress was finished (1535) when the pope was Paolo III. The top part of the "Maschio" has been completed by Michelangelo.||07/16/2006||595|
|In 1648, the Treaty of Westphalia gave France possession of Breisach, on the right bank of the Rhine. This town was fortified by Vauban under the orders of Louis XIV and gave France an important bridgehead on the right bank of the Rhine. Breisach flourished, and so many people came to the town that it spread onto an island in the river, named Ville Neuve (new town). A fort was also built on thi...||07/15/2006||574|
|Founded in 1555 by Jacques Pons for the trade of salt, Brouage rapidly became one of the most important ports on the atlantic coasts. Under the orders of Richelieu, Pierre d'Argencourt put up the fortifications.|
Champlain was born here and Marie Mancini went into exile there.
|This half buried in the ground fortress has been built between 1497 and 1504, by the Spanish architect Francisco Ramiro Lopez for the King Ferdinand of Aragon, King of Spain during the discovery of the New World on the place of the earlier castle, which stood there. The Salses Castle has been built to withstand the metal cannon bullets. Besieged it could house for months the garrison of 1500 me...||07/10/2006||339|