| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|USS Long Beach (CLGN-160/CGN-160/CGN-9) was a nuclear-powered guided missile cruiser in the United States Navy. She was the only ship of her class.|
Long Beach was the first "all-new" cruiser designed and constructed after World War II (all others were completions or conversions of cruisers begun or completed during the war).[disputed – discuss] She was ...
|Split in two. Front is capsized and the rear laying on the keel.||08/17/2013||291|
|The wreck of the SS Falcon. There's not much left of the iron structure but you can see it at low tide.||10/10/2010||951|
|Quester I is the name of a 45-foot submarine built by Jerry Bianco, a shipyard worker in Brooklyn, NY in 1967. Made of salvaged metal, Bianco built the submarine in order to raise the wreck of the passenger ship SS Andrea Doria. The submarine was launched unsuccessfully in 1970 when it tipped sideways and became stuck in the muddy banks.||08/29/2010||602|
|ROSTOK, a 4,900 grt general cargo ship laden with steel coils, suffered steering failure, causing it to ground across the banks of the Sulina Channel, near Partizani, Romania, in 1991. Shortly thereafter the vessel capsized and rolled on her starboard side. Three previous salvage attempts by other salvors proved unsuccessful, leaving hull and cargo still submerged and posing a serious hazard to...||08/08/2010||353|
|She displaced 1164 tons, extended in length to 203 feet, and possessed a surprising 280 HP in her engines. Her extensive armament consisted of two 68 pdr swivel and six 42 pdr long Paixhans guns.5 She was built in London in the shipyards of Greens and Wigrams. She was a heavy-timbered wooden vessel constructed along what were then ultra-modern lines. ||07/28/2010||355|
|The SS Minmi was built in Glasgow, Scotland in 1927. It was 75 metres long, and displaced 1455 tons. The Minmi was a collier, carrying coal from Newcastle to Melbourne and returning empty. It was named either after the lower Hunter Valley town of Minmi, or the nearby Minmi Colliery.|
On 8 May 1937 the Minmi left Melbourne for Newcastle under Captain Robert Clark Callum. The Minmi'...
|Werner Kunstmann is reputed to have been scuppered following reports that she was on route to supply her cargo of iron ore to German factories which had been building up in their preparations for the start of World War 1. All 17crew were saved when the ship ran aground in fine weather on the Goswick sand ridge and was lost. ||05/03/2010||684|
|The Sea Belle ran aground on the Goswick sands in a storm. Though she was wrecked totally some of her ribs and keel are still to be seen at low tide firmly bedded in the sand. ||05/03/2010||529|
|Wreck of HMS Calypso (1883), a Victorian era Calypso-class corvette of the Royal Navy, and sister of the famous HMS Calliope (1884), nicknamed the "Hurricane Jumper".||03/29/2010||652|
|HMS Prince George was a Majestic-class predreadnought battleship launched in 1895. She was named after the future George V of the United Kingdom and was the fourth and final ship to bear that name.|
Prince George was placed on the disposal list at Sheerness on 21 February 1920, and was sold for scrapping to a British firm on 22 September 1921. She was resold to a German firm in De...
|The former Fisheries Research vessel, Sarsia, built in 1953, sank at her lay-up berth in the East Float, Birkenhead many years ago.||12/17/2009||693|
|This vessel was built by Canadian Yarrow at Esquimalt, Canada in 1944 and was not completed until 1945. Stalker did not arrive in the UK until sometime in 1946. Therefore she and her Canadian built sisters, along with their British counterparts, were all built too late for WW2. After 1947 LST (Landing Ship - Tank) 3515 was commissioned into the Royal Navy as HMS Stalker, and was employed as a s...||12/17/2009||694|
|These two wreckages of a "X-craft" midget submarine can be found at the Aberlady beach. During the Second World War, these two were used as training object and after the war attached to a concrete block for target practice.|
|At low tide you can walk right round the wreck - according to a poem in a picture frame in the Colintraive Hotel, this was a fishing boats whose crew was less than alert (and there is a hint that alcohol may have had a part to play) so they mistook the low lying ground behind Ettrick Bay for the channel to the north of the island.||11/14/2009||450|
|Build as "Sprucol" in 1918 build by Short Bros., Ltd., Sunderland.|
Sold in 1924 to the Anglo-American Oil Co., ( J. Hamilton ), London and renamed "Juniata".
Sold in 1934 to the Standard Auxilaire des Transports and not renamed.
Resold in 1936 to the Anglo-American Oil Co., ( F.J. Wolfe ), London.
1940 scuttled as a blockship at Scapa Flow.
06.1949 Salved and...
|The HMS Port Napier was a minelayer which sank as the result of a fire on 27th November 1940. It had been towed to this spot to save Kyleakin and Kyle of Lochalsh as she was loaded with 550 mines and 6000 rounds of ammunition at the time of the fire! She lies on her starboard side with the bows pointing towards Kyleakin.||11/14/2009||343|
|This is the wreck of a Norwegian Barque the SS Nornen, which was driven in a raging gale on to the beach in 1897. The ship's crew of ten, together with their dog, were taken off by the lifeboat and landed safely at Burnham. This is all that's left of her, where she lies on the beach below the church at Berrow in Somerset.||11/14/2009||459|
|During the scuttling of the German High Seas Fleet in Scapa Flow on 21 June 1919, not all of the ships were successfully sunk. One of these, the destroyer B98, was subsequently towed away but as she was passing Sanday, the tow line broke and she ran aground in the Bay of Lopness. Today, her turbines and boilers are still clearly visible from the beach at low tide.|
Arguably the fi...
|The Austrian Steamship “Laura” was a 2000 ton cargo ship who found herself off the coast near Filey in a thick fog. She and her crew of 24 hands had picked up a cargo mainly consisting of coke from Newcastle and were bound for Trieste. The vessel ran aground in the dense fog and the Coastguard was alerted to her distress signals at around 10 a.m. on the morning of the 21st November 1897. The Fi...||11/14/2009||508|
|During the First World War, shortage of steel led to the construction of a number of experimental ships out of ferro-concrete (reinforced concrete). The remains of one of these ships, the tug ‘Creteblock’ now lay on Whitby Scaur. In 1927 the Creteblock was decommissioned and the hulk sat in Whitby harbour until after the Second World War, when it was towed out to sea to be intentionally sunk. O...||11/14/2009||321|
|The S.S. Catala was originally built in Scotland in 1925. For years it carried woodsmen and miners from British Columbia to Alaska until is was retired in 1958. In its next life it became a floating "boat-el" for the 1962 World's Fair in Seattle. After the fair it was taken to Ocean Shores and docked there as a hotel for charter fishermen — complete with poker games and prostitutes. In January ...||11/13/2009||483|
|The Kartli was a huge 240 foot Russian fish factory ship. During a storm on December 18th 1991 her wheelhouse was smashed and her engine room and generator flooded by a giant wave off the south of Islay. Four of her crew were killed and 15 were seriously injured. With no power or steerage, she rolled helplessly at the mercy of the wind and seas. Five helicopters were involved in a dramatic and ...||11/13/2009||336|
|The following information is from the Nautical Archaeological Society's website on the wreck:|
"The Steam Trawler Sheraton was built in 1907 for fishing and was later used for boom defence work during World War I and served as a patrol vessel in WWII, for which she was fitted with a six pounder gun. During a gale in 1947 she broke free of her mooring and drifted onto the beach at Hunstant...
|MV Chica launched in 1894 and formerly used as a trip boat along the river Weaver. She sank in 1993 at Dutton locks.||11/12/2009||389|