Airports, airplane museums and space centers from around the world.|
| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|In World War 1 the airfield was used as a base for maritime patrols and it played an important role in the Atlantic maritime theatre, until operational flying ceased in 1942. In 1942 the base became No.10 Radio School, a training base for aircrew wireless operators, a role it was to perform until the end of the war. The station closed in 1945. |
|Former RAF Wickenby is a class A bomber airfield, begun by McAlpine in late 1941. The site took in land in the parishes of Snelland and Holton necessitating the closure of the road between these two villages. The concrete runways were, 09-27 at 2,000 yards and 04-22 and 16-34 both at 1,400 yards long. Thirty-six pan types hardstandings were provided with one neutralised by a T2 hangar adjacent ...||11/25/2008||280|
|The RAF withdrew in 1965 and the airfield was later sold. The technical site was taken over for light industry as were two T2 hangars. Flying recommenced in the early 1980s, using a section of the perimeter track, and the Real Aeroplane Company now operates a flying club from new hangars and offices near the old technical site. Agricultural buildings have since been erected on parts of the runw...||11/25/2008||277|
|Former RAF Driffield - Former Thor Missile Base|
|Hardwick Airfield was one of the early heavy bomber airfields which was constructed for the RAF during 1941-42 in the East Anglian area. |
After the war, the field was turned over to the RAF on 25 June 1945. The station was immediately put into care and maintenance status, and was eventually closed in 1962. The main airfield buildings, hangars, control tower, etc, were demolished many yea...
|Seething airfield was built in 1942-43 by John Laing & Son Ltd., to the standard Class A requirement for heavy bombers, the airfield had a main runway 6,000 ft. long aligned SW-NE and two secondary runways of 4,200 ft in length. The encircling perimeter track was three miles long. ||11/25/2008||234|
|RAF Caistor was a grass-surfaced airfield and served it's time as a Relief Landing Ground (RLG) for a number of stations in the area. It had four landing strips of varying lengths varying between 1100 yards (1005 metres) to 1450 yards.|
Today, very little remains. A few huts on the very basic technical site remain in private hands. The Thor launch pads and their attendant buildings now li...
|RAF Attlebridge was originally laid out as a bomber airfield with three intersecting grass runways for light RAF bombers, the runways being quite short.These were later lengthened to standard Class-A bomber airfield lengths of 2000 yards (1828 mtrs) and the subsidiaries being 1400 yards (1280 mtrs) each. ||11/25/2008||271|
|Little-used airfield built to house Wellington bombers during the Second World War. often used by local radio-control model airoplane clubs and learner drivers. |
The industrial estate contains a wide veriety of different businesses.
|RAF Burn became a bomber base within No. 4 Group, Bomber Command. Construction began in late 1941 and despite topographical limitations , the three runways were laid. The main strip was 5,700 feet (1737 mtrs) in length, running almost due north/south and the two intersecting runways being 4,620 feet (1400 mtrs) and 4,290 feet (1300 mtrs) respectively and the perimiter track had 36 heavy bomber ...||11/25/2008||301|
|The airfield quickly reverted to civil flying after the war, which still takes place today using three grass strips. The hard runway which ran almost NE / SW is used as a proving ground. A few structures still stand but a lot has been lost to modern industrial units.||11/25/2008||242|
|RAF Church Fenton is a Royal Air Force airfield in North Yorkshire, United Kingdom.|
Opened in 1937, it saw the peak of its activity during the years of World War II, when it served within the defence network of fighter bases of the RAF providing protection for the Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield, Humberside industrial regions.
|Acaster Malbis was originally built as a fighter airfield with grass runways, construction beginning in 1941 and completed in January 1942, an un-classified road which crossed the site being closed. |
|This is a landing pad for the goodyear blimp in southern California.||11/21/2008||384|
|RAF Feltwell is used by the USAFE as a housing estate for United States Air Force personnel.|
It is also rumored to be a NSA listening post and 3 large radomes can be seen. Its previous life was home to USAF 5th Space Surveillance Squadron.
The image was captured on 2nd July 2006 and July 4th celebrations can be seen with the presence of a fun fair and a ball game i...
|RAF Hethel is a former World War II airfield used by the US during the Second World War (and briefly as an RAF station) in Norfolk, England situated located 7 miles south west of Norwich. |
Hethel airfield was constructd in 1942 for American use and was assigned USAAF designation Station 114.
From 14 September 1943 though to 12 June 1945, Hethel served as headquarters for t...
|Some time during the years 1939-1940 the lease to this small tract of land ran out. Negotiations were started for the acquisition of about 7,000 acres of land surrounding the Ewa mooring mast. The idea was to divide the land in such a way as to make part of it into an emergency landing field, and the remainder into a bombing range. This didn't happen but eventually 3,500 acres was acquired. ||11/03/2008||1,268|
|Jean Salis airfield|
Jean Baptiste Salis has started to collect old airplanes in Cerny La Ferté-Alais where he creates the airfield between the two world wars. All the collection is destroyed during the conflict. His son Jean starts all over in 1972, rebuilding and restoring old airplanes. Today with 68 machines it is the most important flying museum in France. Every year, during ...
|Originally constructed in 1927, this installation has changed names and ownership several times. Originally established as Kawaihapai Military Reservation in 1927, it was redesignated as Mokuleia Airfield and was used by the Army Air Forces throughout World War II. The name was changed to Dillingham Air Force Base after the USAF was formed in 1947. The base was deactivated in 1948 and returned ...||10/30/2008||663|
|In 1934, the Army Air Corps saw the need for another airfield in Hawai‘i and assigned the Quartermaster Corps the job of constructing a modern airdrome from tangled brush and sugar cane fields adjacent to Pearl Harbor. The site consisted of 2,200 acres (9 km²) of ancient, emerged coral reef covered by a thin layer of soil, with the Pearl Harbor entrance channel and naval reservation marking its...||10/28/2008||1,049|
|A former aircraft hangar, now part of terminal facilities at Liverpool John Lennon Airport. It is amongst the earliest surviving examples of airport buildings in the United Kingdom. It was built by Sir A.J. Cobham with Sir J.Burnet and Partners as an aircraft hangar in the late 1930s. It has a steel superstructure with brick cladding. It features large hangar doors between brick piers, with sto...||09/30/2008||644|
|Looks like a runway that at the very least has no markings on it. Maybe abandoned?||09/30/2008||668|
|The airfield was founded in 1936, initially for recreational purposes. At the beginning of World War II German forces attempted to capture the airfield, in 1940, via an airborne landing during the Battle for The Hague. This failed however and Dutch forces recaptured the airfield. After the Netherlands eventually surrendered to Germany, the Luftwaffe made no use of the airfield during the remain...||09/19/2008||630|
|The last remaining building of the old Denver International airport. ||08/20/2008||1,949|
|In 1941 only one lighter-than-air station existed, Lakehurst, NJ, and with the approach of war in Europe the United States began to take a serious look at its defensive capabilities. High on the list was anti-submarine patrolling of the coast and harbors. At this time the best vehicle to do this was the blimp. In the age before helicopters the blimp had the capability to hover, slow flight for ...||08/20/2008||902|