Churches, Mosques and other religious buildings from around the world.|
| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Battle Abbey is a partially ruined abbey complex in the small town of Battle in East Sussex, England. The Abbey was built on the scene of the Battle of Hastings and dedicated to St. Martin.|
|Thetford Priory is a Cluniac Priory located at Thetford, Norfolk, England.|
One of the most important East Anglian monasteries, it was founded in 1103 by Roger Bigod, 1st Earl of Norfolk and dedicated to Our Lady.
In the 13th century, the Virgin Mary is said to have appeared in a vision to locals requesting the addition to the site of a Lady Chapel. During its const...
|Bardney Abbey in Lincolnshire, England, was a Benedictine monastery founded in 697 by King Æthelred of Mercia, who was to become the first abbot. The monastery is supposed to have been destroyed during a Danish raid in 870. In 1087 it was refounded as a priory, by Gilbert de Gant, Earl of Lincoln, and it regained status as an abbey in 1115.|
|Fountains Abbey is near to Aldfield, approximately two miles southwest of Ripon in North Yorkshire, England. It is a ruined Cistercian monastery, founded in 1132. Fountains Abbey is one of the largest and best preserved Cistercian houses in England. It is a Grade I listed building and owned by the National Trust. Along with the adjacent Studley Royal Water Garden, it is a UNESCO World Heritage ...||11/30/2009||264|
|Furness Abbey, or St Mary of Furness is a former Cistercian monastery situated on the outskirts of the Cumbrian town, Barrow-in-Furness.|
Founded in 1123 by Stephen, Count of Blois (close to 900 years ago), it was built originally for the Order of Savigny. Located in the 'Valley of the Deadly Nightshade' between Dalton-in-Furness and Barrow-in-Furness, the abbey is built entirely ...
|Barlings Abbey, Lincolnshire, was a Premonstratensian monastery in England, founded in 1154.|
Its founder was Ralph de Haye, son of the constable of Lincoln Castle, and lord of Burwell and Carlton. It was first established at Barlings Grange but was soon moved to its present site.
By the mid-14th century the canons are known to have been in considerable financial tr...
|Thornton Abbey was founded as a priory in 1139 by William le Gros, the Earl of Yorkshire, and raised to the status of Abbey in 1148. It was a house for Augustinian or black canons. These priests lived a communal life under the Rule of St Augustine but also undertook pastoral duties outside of the Abbey. Officers within the Abbey besides the abbot and prior included a cellarer, bursar, chamberla...||11/30/2009||219|
|Titchfield Abbey is a medieval abbey and later country house, located in the village of Titchfield near Fareham in Hampshire, England. The abbey was founded in 1222 for Premonstratensian canons, an austere order of priests. The abbey was a minor house of its order, and became neither wealthy nor influential during its three centuries of monastic life; the inhabitants were devoted to scholarship...||11/30/2009||230|
|Leicester Abbey, the Abbey of Saint Mary de Pratis ("St Mary of the Meadows"), standing about a mile (2 km) north of the city of Leicester in the riverside meadows on the west bank of the River Soar, was built under the patronage of Robert le Bossu, Earl of Leicester. It was founded as a community of Augustinian Canons, the canons regular of the Order of Saint Augustine. Canons regula...||11/30/2009||168|
|Sawley Abbey was an abbey of Cistercian monks in the village of Sawley, Lancashire, in England (and historically in the West Riding of Yorkshire). It existed from 1147 until its dissolution in 1536, during the reign of King Henry VIII of all England, Ireland, and France. Its ruins, which are controlled by English Heritage, are open to the public. Although not an extensive ruin, there are boards...||11/30/2009||200|
|Roche Abbey is a now-ruined abbey located near Maltby, South Yorkshire, England. It is situated in a valley alongside Maltby Beck and King's Wood.|
|Rievaulx Abbey is a former Cistercian abbey headed by the Abbot of Rievaulx. It is located in the village of Rievaulx (pronounced 'Ree-voh'), near Helmsley in North Yorkshire, England.|
|Revesby Abbey was a Cistercian monastery located near the village of Revesby in Lincolnshire, England. The abbey was founded in 1143 by William de Roumare, Earl of Lincoln. The first monks came to the abbey from the great Yorkshire house of Rievaulx Abbey. They were led by Aelred of Rievaulx, a former courtier who was to go on to become abbot of Rievaulx itself and a noted historian and theolog...||11/30/2009||184|
|Glastonbury Abbey was a rich and powerful monastery in Glastonbury, Somerset, England. Since at least the 12th century the Glastonbury area was frequently associated with the legend of King Arthur, a connection promoted by medieval monks who asserted that Glastonbury was Avalon. The abbey was suppressed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries under King Henry VIII of England. The ruins and as...||11/30/2009||180|
|St. Canute's Cathedral (Danish: Odense Domkirke or Sct. Knuds Kirke), also known as Odense Cathedral, is named after the Danish king Canute the Saint (Danish: Knud den Hellige), otherwise Canute IV. It is a fine example of Brick Gothic architecture. The church's most visited section is the crypt where the remains of Canute and his brother Benedict are on display.|
|Saint Joseph Cathedral (Spanish: Catedral de San José) is a Roman Catholic church in Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala. The original church was built around 1541, but suffered several earthquakes throughout its history, and the first church building was demolished in 1669. The cathedral was rebuilt and consecrated in 1680. By 1743 the cathedral was one of the largest in Central America. However, the...||11/12/2009||329|
|This church is the only remaining building left from the village of San Juan Parangaricutiro, located in the state of Michoacán in Mexico. What happened? Not far from there In 1943 the Volcán de Parícutin started to rise out of a farmer's cornfield. In the following irruption, it buried 2 villages under lava and ashes, including San Juan Parangaricutiro.|
|The Erfurt Synagogue in Erfurt, Germany, was built c. 1100. It is thought to be the oldest synagogue building still standing in Europe. It is planned to permanently house the Erfurt Treasure and is currently undergoing renovation.|
|Santa Maria Maior de Lisboa or Sé de Lisboa is the cathedral of Lisbon and the oldest church in the city. Since the beginning of the construction of the cathedral, in the year 1147, the building has been modified several times and survived many earthquakes. It is nowadays a mix of different architectural styles.|
Lisbon is the seat of a bishopric since the 4th century AD (see Patr...
|(Portuguese: Igreja dos Clérigos) is a Baroque church in the city of Porto, in Portugal. |
Its tall bell tower, the Torre dos Clérigos, can be seen from various points of the city and is one of its most characteristic symbols.
The church was built for the Brotherhood of the Clérigos (Clergy) by Nicolau Nasoni, an Italian architect and painter who left an extense work in the...
|(also known as the Fátima Shrine or the Sanctuary of Fátima) is a Roman Catholic Marian basilica in Fátima, Portugal. Its construction began in 1928 and it was consecrated in October 1953.|
The basilica is built at the site of the Marian apparitions reported by three Portuguese children in 1917 and known as Our Lady of Fátima.
The tombs of Blessed Francisco Marto, Blessed ...
|(Portuguese: Mosteiro de Jesus) at the city of Setúbal, in Portugal, is the main historical monument of the city.|
It is one of the first buildings in the Manueline style, the Portuguese version of late Gothic.
The cloisters of the convent houses the museum of the Monastery (Museu de Jesus).
|The Sedlec Ossuary (Czech: kostnice Sedlec) is a small Roman Catholic chapel, located beneath the Cemetery Church of All Saints (Czech: Hřbitovní kostel Vech Svatých) in Sedlec, a suburb of Kutná Hora in the Czech Republic. The ossuary is estimated to contain the skeletons of between 40,000 and 70,000 people, many of whom have had their bones artistically arranged to form decorations and ...||09/24/2009||199|
|(Portuguese: Capela dos Ossos) is one of the best known monuments in Evora, Portugal. |
The lugubrious chapel is formed by three spans 18.7 meters long and 11 meters wide. Light enters through three small openings on the left. Its walls and eight pillars are "decorated" in carefully arranged bones and skulls held together by cement.
The ceiling is made of white painted bri...
|(Portuguese: Sé de Évora) is one of the oldest and most important monuments in the city of Évora, in Portugal, lying on the highest spot of the city. <br>It is part of the historical city centre.|
It has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1988
More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_%C3%89vora