Locations of famous places in history|
| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|This fort built on the ridge outside Uniondale is a round fort. It was used during the Anglo/Boer war as a defence post||07/22/2014||38|
|Colonisation of the new worlds! In 1938 and ahead Norwegian Thor Heyerdahl proved by a series of sailing trips in rafts of ancient design that it was possible for Americans to reach Polynesia (The Kon Tiki expedition), that Africans/Europeans could reach the Caribian and further on to the Americas (The Ra expeditions) and that the world's earliest urban civilizations, like the Mesopotamia at th...||12/12/2012||436|
|Vitus Bering was a Danish born Russian captain and commander who from 1725-1730 and 1733-1742 leads 2 expeditions from Saint Petersburg across the entire Russian country to investigate the extent of the Russian empire for the Tsar Peter the Great and to determine whether Asia/Russia and North America are connected by land. The 2 expeditions ends up at travelling a basic distance of at least 678...||05/05/2012||750|
|The Danmark (Denmark) ekspedition named after the expedition ship "Danmark" is a Danish led expedition to Northeast Greenland in the years 1906-1908. The purpose of the expedition is to explore and map the northernmost East Greenland. Since the 1700s, Greenland has been slowly mapped piece by piece, but the harsh climate of the northeast region has meant that no one had managed to get far north...||04/27/2011||1,411|
|The Brazilian National Heritage (Historic places)
NOTE: NOT IN ENGLISH.||09/30/2010||7,683|
|The Battle of the Crater was a battle of the American Civil War, part of the Siege of Petersburg. It took place on July 30, 1864, between the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia, commanded by General Robert E. Lee and the Union Army of the Potomac, commanded by Maj. Gen. George G. Meade (under the direct supervision of the general-in-chief, Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant).|
|The York Cold War Bunker is a two-storey semi-subterranean bunker in the Holgate area of York, England, built in 1961 during the cold war to monitor nuclear explosions and fallout in Yorkshire in the event of nuclear war. It was used by the Royal Observer Corps as a headquarters between 1961 and 1991. It is an English Scheduled Monument and was opened in 2006 by English Heritage as a tourist...||01/16/2010||420|
|Guardian Exchange was an underground telephone exchange built in Manchester in the 1950s. It was built together with the Anchor Exchange in Birmingham and the Kingsway exchange in London to provide hardened communications in the event of nuclear war. In common with most civil defence structures of the time it was designed to withstand atomic bombs although would not have survived a direct hit.<...||01/16/2010||352|
|The Central Government War Headquarters is a 240-acre complex built 120 feet (37 m) underground as the United Kingdom's Emergency Government War Headquarters - the hub of the country's alternative seat of power outside London during a nuclear war or conflict with the Soviet Union. It is located in Corsham, Wiltshire, in an old underground Bath Stone quarry known as Spring Quarry. The complex wa...||01/16/2010||403|
|The Secret Nuclear Bunker at Kelvedon Hatch, in the Borough of Brentwood in the English county of Essex, is a large underground bunker used during the cold war as a regional government headquarters. Since being decommissioned in 1992, the bunker has been open to the public as a tourist attraction (known as the Secret Nuclear Bunker), with a museum focusing on its cold war history. The entrance ...||01/16/2010||755|
|It's hard to believe now, but in the early days of aviation there were more than a dozen little airfields scattered along the banks of the River Wye, running through Herefordshire. The location and history of these airfields is listed in a book called "Wings Over The Wye". This early aircraft hangar is probably the only one remaining from those early times, now used for agricultural p...||11/19/2009||410|
|Spanish 6"/50 (15.2 cm) Vickers-Carraca|
This battery had two 152.4/50mm Vickers 'V' in one turret, with gun performance the same as at Paloma Alta. These guns came from the Spanish cruiser Miguel de Cervantes and were installed in 1941. There is a fire control position directly behind the guns.
|The Battle of the Plains of Abraham, also known as the Battle of Quebec, was a pivotal battle in the Seven Years' War (referred to as the French and Indian War in the United States). The confrontation, which began on 12 September 1759, was fought between the British Army and Navy, and the French Army, on a plateau just outside the walls of Quebec City. The battle involved fewer than 10,000 troo...||11/19/2009||742|
|Fort Battleford was the sixth North-West Mounted Police fort to be established in the North-West Territories of Canada, and played a central role in the events of the North-West Rebellion / Resistance of 1885. It was there that Chief Poundmaker was arrested, and that six Cree and two Stoney men were hanged for their participation in the Frog Lake massacre and other killings.|
|Following the battle of Philiphaugh on the 13th September 1645, when an army of Covenanters, commanded by General David Leslie, defeated the Royalists under Montrose, prisoners were kept captive here. They were largely from an Irish contingent and, despite having been promised quarter, they and their camp followers and children were taken to Slain Mens Lea nearby and slaughtered in cold blood a...||11/14/2009||336|
|The Border checkpoint HelmstedtMarienborn (German: Grenzübergang Helmstedt-Marienborn), called Grenzübergangsstelle Marienborn (GÜSt) (border crossing Marienborn) by the German Democratic Republic (GDR), was the largest and most important border crossing on the Inner German border during the division of Germany. Due to its geographical location, allowing for the shortest land route between Wes...||11/01/2009||621|
|The Massacre of Glencoe occurred in Glen Coe, Scotland, in the early morning of 13 February 1692, during the era of the "Glorious Revolution" and Jacobitism. In Gaelic, the event is named 'Mort Ghlinne Comhann' (murder of Glen Coe). The massacre began simultaneously in three settlements along the glenInvercoe, Inverrigan, and Achnaconalthough the killing took place all over the glen...||10/28/2009||447|
|The Rossio is the popular name of the Pedro IV Square (Portuguese: Praça de D. Pedro IV) in the city of Lisbon, in Portugal. |
It is located in the Pombaline Downtown of Lisbon and has been one of its main squares since the Middle Ages.
It has been the setting of popular revolts and celebrations, bullfights and executions, and is now a preferred meeting place of Lisbon natives and...
|In the evening of October 2. 1961 14 families (53 citicens) of the village Böseckendorf fled over the newly erected border fence between West Germany and the GDR. It was the biggest common escape from the GDR ever known.|
The escape was preceded by the systematic expansion of the border by the GDR leadership. After close to Böseckendorf been the first concrete post had been set up...
|Eilmer of Malmesbury (also known as Oliver due to a scribe's miscopying, or Elmer) was an 11th-century English Benedictine monk at Malmesbury Abbey best known for his early attempt at a gliding flight using wings.|
|Bragança - Domus municipalis is a building of Romanesque architecture, unique in the Iberian Peninsula.
It has the shape of an irregular pentagon and an underground area forming a vaulted cistern. It was constructed during the 12th century.
No one knows exactly what was the real function of this building even after the great amount of research carried out during the last years.
|In Berlin the Bebelplatz (formerly known as the Opernplatz) is mainly knowm for the burning of book on 10 May 1933 by members of the S.A. and the Hitlerjugend. About 20,000 books were burned, amongst others books of Thomas Mann, Erich Maria Remarque, Heinrich Heine, Karl Marx and many other well-known authors.|
In the deep many bookcases were seen, with space for about 20,000 book...
|From 1933 to 1938 an annually celebration of the german Thanksgiving Day (Erntedankfest) was celebrated on the first Sunday in October on the Bückeberg near Hameln. |
Reich Propaganda Minister Goebbels had the mandate to a rural festival so far unknown extent in free landscape design.
It provided space for more than one million visitors. Well the view into the coun...
|This was Hitlers chanselry in Munich. It was build between 1933 and 1935.|
1938 the so called "Munich Agreement" was signed here. That was the taking over of Bohemia from Czechoslovakia to Nazi-Germany.
|Marc Bolan of glam rock band T-Rex died here on 16 September 1977, two weeks before his 30th birthday. He was a passenger in a purple Mini 1275GT (registration FOX 661L) driven by Gloria Jones as they headed home from Mortons drinking club and restaurant in Berkeley Square. Jones lost control of the car and it struck a sycamore tree after failing to negotiate a small humpback bridge near Gipsy ...||07/17/2009||429|