Locations of famous places in history|
| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|On April 18, 1947 British engineers attempted to destroy the entire island in what became known as the "British Bang" (or "Big Bang"). 4,061 (another source claims 6,800) tons of surplus World War II ammunition were placed in various locations around the island and set off. The island survived, although the extensive fortifications were destroyed. The blast was listed in the...||10/24/2007||1,029|
|From mid 1660th this was the main entry to the city of Fredericia, left of the gate is the old gate house.|
Originally it was made by wood but 1747 it was falling apart and 1748 a new one was build by bricks. On the top you see the monogram of King Frederik V.
To the left of the Gate House is the bigger Danmarks Port and to the north is another gate into Fredericia,...
|1893, when the southern part of Denmark was german territory from 1864 until 1920, the german residents of the area bought this hill near Aabenraa. It was at that time 93 meters high and one of the highest points in the area.|
1895 a huge memorial for the german Chancellor Bismark was errected. It stood here until the 16th august 1945 when it was blown away. 1955 the remains where...
|Husvik Whaling Station of South Georgia Island.|
Used from abt 1907 to 1961
|Cliffe Fort is a Royal Commission fort built in the 1860s on the edge of the Cliffe marshes to protect against invasion via the Thames. It is opposite Coalhouse Fort in Essex. They are 2km apart. Construction was difficult due to the marshy ground and the malaria carrying mosquitos. It was armed with 12.5” and 11” RML’s, weighing around 35 tons. Protection of these guns was provided by granite ...||09/25/2007||705|
|The hovercraft was invented by Sir Christopher Cockerell whilst he owned and worked at Ripplecraft, the boatyard in Somerleyton. From 1953 to 1956 as well as designing and building hire craft for the Broads Sir Christopher “worked on the problem of making boats go faster”. He was attempting to make boat propulsion more energy efficient and one of his experiments was to inject air under the hull...||09/21/2007||455|
|This gun is from the spanish battleship ESPANA. |
Laid down on February 5, 1909, launched on February 5, 1912 and commissioned on October 23, 1913, Espana carried a main armament of eight 12 inch main guns mounted two per turret; one centerline forward, one centerline aft and one wing turret on each side that could fire to both sides and forward and aft. Espana was the name ship o...
|Reggie Kray, one of the most notorious gangsters of the 1960s, has died peacefully in his sleep after a battle against bladder cancer. Kray, 66, died in the honeymoon suite at the Beefeater Town House Hotel in Norwich, Norfolk.||09/18/2007||502|
|Location of the big train robbery on 08.08.1963.||08/08/2007||914|
|U.S. troops first landed on Puerto Rican soil at the southern port of Guánica. They were originally supposed to disembark at Cape Fajardo in the east or Doraco to the north, but General Miles changed the landing site because of Guánica's proximity to Ponce (15 mi. west) and the improved road and harbor there. |
General Miles left Guantánamo Bay, Cuba with 3,314 men, including a convoy, at...
|The "Thingstaette" is a place was built between 1934 and 1935 by the Nazis. It was one of more than 40 all over Germany. It was opened the Joseph Goebbels at June 22, 1935. The plan was to create places to celebrate old germanic customs. Today its used for theatre and concerts. Every year over the night from April 30th and May 1st more than 10.000 people celebrate together with torches and fire...||06/16/2007||712|
|The place in N.W. Italy where was signed the treaty between Italy and Yugoslavia in 1920 |
|Western end of the Island, first built up in 1898-99 as a defensive position protecting Long Island Sound and armed with two 12 inch and two 10 inch "rifles" on disappearing carriages. |
Operational during WW2 with a small airfield. Linked with Fort Terry, Fort Michie which were sub-posts, and Camp Hero. Closed in the late 1950s and sold to private interests.
|Fort Charles is an old British fort on the island of St. Kitts. It's capture by the French was the reason for the construction of the more famous Brimstone Hill Fortress, which overlooks it. |
The fort today is not in good shape. It was abandoned by the British in 1854, and used from 1890 to 1996 as a Leper colony. Since then, it has been completely abandoned and is overgrown with...
|Construction of Fort Charles was begun in 1671, with the aim of protecting Charleston and its harbour. Mounting 26 cannon, Fort Charles was the main fort on the island, although there were numerous other, smaller, gun emplacements. The reason for all of these fortifications was the protection of Nevis' lucrative sugar trade, which at one time was more profitable for Britain than all of the Nort...||04/25/2007||682|
|Remains of an 18th-century British fort and Fort Rodney, where the Admiral for which it is named spied on the French ships from its strategic viewpoint .||04/25/2007||748|
|This fortress is the symbol of the city, it was built in 1659 and was raised on a hill from which you can have a beautiful panoramic view of Cumaná and the surrounding. |
Subsequent replacements were destroyed by earthquakes. The present fort was restored after a 1929 earthquake.
|In 1775 Governor Jonathan Trumbull recommended the building of a fortification at the port of New London to protect the seat of the government of Connecticut. Built on a rocky point of land near the mouth of the Thames River on Long Island Sound, the fort was completed in 1777 and named for Governor Trumbull, who served from 1769 to 1784. In 1781 during the American Revolutionary War, the fort ...||04/23/2007||882|
|Fort Tyler: 1898, Suffolk County, Gardiner's Island. |
Transferred to the War Department in 1898 and converted into a small coastal defense positions on the tip of Gardiner's Island at the entrance to Gardiner's Bay.
Closed in the late 1920s.
Status of batteries in 1921 was: Battery Smith, 2 - 8" Disappearing, 2 - 5" Pedestal.
|Fort Terry was a coastal fortification on Plum Island, a small Island just off Orient Point, New York. This strategic position afforded it a commanding view (and range) over the Atlantic entrance to the commercially vital Long Island Sound. According to the New York State Department of Military and Naval Affairs the Fort began operation in 1879, was expanded during the Spanish-American war, Wor...||04/22/2007||1,487|
|Originally built as a fort to protect Long Island Sound and New York City during the Spanish-American War, it was in service until 1949 when it was then turned over to the AMNH. Most of the original buildings on this 17-acre island are overrun by bittersweet. A concrete 3-story observation tower, 3-room research building still remain.||04/22/2007||1,358|
|Spanish military fortress, built between 1747 and 1774, bastion of defense of the port of Callao from the pirate and corsairs. It was the last defense wall during the independence of Peru. Designed by Luis Godín according to the plans of the Vaudan School that dominated the military art of the time. It possesses 70 thousand square meters of area, has pentagonal shape, 5 ramparts, walls, cord, r...||04/22/2007||887|
|A Confederate POW cemetery was created here in 1863. The POWs were held in Fort Delaware. Earthwork fortifications were also built here for ten (15-inch and 10-inch) Rodman guns on wooden carriages and platforms. Finns Point Battery was first located here in 1872. Only two gun emplacements and five magazines in the mortar battery were completed before construction was halted. Two 1872 magazines...||04/13/2007||765|
|Fort Rodman was the Army's officially name for the installation and it was completed on May 11, 1861. Brass and iron cannons were mounted to protect the Clark’s Cove and Acushnet River approaches to New Bedford. This installation was temporarily named Fort Taber, in honor of the city’s chief executive. As the granite fort was yet unnamed and appeared on government records simply as “the fort at...||04/12/2007||967|
|Beginning in 1897, a new system of defenses was built outside the fort proper. A concrete battery was built into the hill under Walbach Tower, which was equiped with two 8-inch breach-loading rifles, Model 1888MII, serials 38, 43 (Watervliet Arsenal), on disappearing carriages, Model 1894, serials 23, 22 (Providence Steam Engine Co.), with hand-operated platform ammunition hoists. The battery w...||04/12/2007||790|