Google Earth Hacks | File Downloads | Categories | Most Popular | Newest | Top Rated | By State | By Country
Google Earth Hacks Login | Register    
Logging in will reduce the number of ads that you see    
 
(advanced search)

Subscribe in a reader Get updates by e-mail Follow GEH on Twitter Follow Mickey on Twitter

Dig Deeper


Sightseeing: Historical Placemarks

Locations of famous places in history

Sub-Categories


Airplane crash sites (141 files)
World War I (79 files)
World War II (629 files)


Files Available In This Category


To see only files from a specific country in this category select below:
Country -

 RatingDownloads 

Fort Stark, Portsmouth

Fort Stark, Portsmouth

The earliest forts were built to protect the colonists. As Portsmouth Harbor's importance increased with its Revolutionary War shipbuilding industry and the establishment of the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in 1800, additional fortification was needed.

At Jerry's Point there is evidence of earthwork fortification, circa 1842, and a stonework fort, circa 1873. Following the Spanish ...
No rating yet04/11/20071,051Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Foster, Kittery, Maine

Fort Foster, Kittery, Maine

The land for Fort Foster, located on the southwest tip of Gerrish Island in Kittery, Maine, was acquired by the federal government in 1872, making this fort the last of the "old" forts that were built in the Portsmouth area.

In 1899 construction was started on new concrete batteries to help protect the Naval Shipyard in the aftermath of the Spanish-American War. In 190...
Rating of 504/11/20071,021Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Gorges, Portland, Maine

Fort Gorges, Portland, Maine

Following the War of 1812, the United States Army Corps of Engineers proposed that a fort be built on Hog Island Ledge, in Casco Bay at the entrance to the harbor at Portland, Maine. Named for the colonial proprietor of Maine, Sir Ferdinando Gorges, it was constructed to support existing forts, including Fort Preble in South Portland and Fort Scammel built on nearby House Island in 1808. Congre...
No rating yet04/11/20071,159Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Popham, Phippsburg

Fort Popham, Phippsburg

Fort Popham is a coastal defense land battery at the mouth of the Kennebec River in Phippsburg, Maine. It is located in sight of the short-lived Popham Colony and, like the colony, named for George Popham, the colony's leader.

Construction of Fort Popham was authorized in 1857, but did not begin until 1862 when the Union became nervous about the Confederacy’s newest naval ship d...
Rating of 404/10/2007937Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fortin San Juan de la Cruz

Fortin San Juan de la Cruz

Fortín San Juan de la Cruz (Fort Saint John of the Cross), better known as el Cañuelo, is located on Isla de Cabras, Puerto Rico. It is part of San Juan National Historic Site.

This fort was originally built in wood in 1610. Due to its location at the entrance of the San Juan bay, and in front of the Fort San Felipe del Morro, across the bay, it provided a strategic point to cre...
No rating yet04/10/2007533Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Casey, Whidbey Island

Fort Casey, Whidbey Island

Fort Casey was built about 1908. Over the next several years, the fortifications were supplemented by newer batteries with guns on disappearing carriages, which could be raised out of their protective emplacements so that the guns were exposed only long enough to fire. In addition, more advanced rapid-fire gun batteries were added. The fort's batteries became obsolete almost as soon as they wer...
No rating yet04/09/2007597Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Flagler, Marrowstone Island

Fort Flagler, Marrowstone Island

Fort Flagler was built along with Fort Casey and Fort Worden to form a "triangle of fire" to protect the entrance to Puget Sound at Admiralty Inlet, and gun batteries in each of these forts face Puget Sound. Situated on the western side of Puget Sound, Fort Flagler's batteries face eastward. In addition to the gun emplacements, the fort has historical barracks and officers' quarters, ...
No rating yet04/09/2007796Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Worden near Port Townsend

Fort Worden near Port Townsend

Construction on Fort Worden began in 1897 and continued in one form or another until the fort was closed in 1953. Construction work on the initial fortifications above Point Wilson were delayed until July 1897. The property was privately owned and the government had to clear title to the land through condemnation proceedings. The Army Corps of Engineers took charge of building the construction ...
No rating yet04/09/2007461Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Ward, Alexandria

Fort Ward, Alexandria

Fort Ward is a former Union Army installation now located in the city of Alexandria in the U.S. state of Virginia. It was the fifth largest fort built to defend Washington, D.C. in the American Civil War. It is currently well-preserved with 90-95% of its earthen walls intact.

The fort is now a part of the City of Alexandria's 45-acre (18-ha) Fort Ward Mueseum and Historic Site a...
No rating yet04/06/2007678Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Zachary Taylor, Key West

Fort Zachary Taylor, Key West

The Fort Zachary Taylor State Historic Site, better known simply as Fort Taylor, (or Fort Zach to locals), is a Florida State Park and National Historic Landmark centered on a Civil War-era fort located near the southern tip of Key West, Florida.
No rating yet04/06/2007550Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Castillo de San Marcos, St. Augustine

Castillo de San Marcos, St. Augustine

The Castillo de San Marcos is a Spanish built fort located in the city of St. Augustine, Florida. It was known as Fort Marion from 1821 until 1942, and Fort St. Mark from 1763 until 1784 while under British control.

The city of St. Augustine was founded in 1565. Over the next one hundred years, the city was defended by nine wooden forts. Following the 1668 attack of the English ...
No rating yet04/06/2007570Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Barrancas, Pensacola

Fort Barrancas, Pensacola

Fort Barrancas (1839) or Fort San Carlos de Barrancas (from 1787) is the name of a historic United States military fort in the Warrington area of Pensacola, Florida.

The hill-top fort, connected to a sea-level water battery, overlooks Pensacola Bay, from what is now Naval Air Station Pensacola. Because the hill-top fort was rebuilt of brick, becoming Fort Barrancas, the older, w...
No rating yet04/06/2007511Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Parsons Lodge Battery, Gibraltar

Parsons Lodge Battery, Gibraltar

Parson's Lodge is a mini Gibraltar - a narrow limestone dorsal, running North-South, laced with a labyrinth of underground tunnels and surmounted by a seemingly impregnable battery, which has witnessed the development of coast artillery over the last three centuries.

Rising 120' sheer above the sea, Parson's Lodge, is a most prominent of a series of batteries which surround Gibr...
Rating of 404/04/2007596Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Cape Sileirro 6-in Vickers battery near Vigo

Cape Sileirro 6-in Vickers battery near Vigo

This is set on a steep hill overlooking the sea, the 4 guns (2 in 1941, 1 in 1942, 4th post-war) in a line stepped one above the other. A defended barracks and stores was set in a hollow behind the hill, giving underground tunnel access to the fire control tower and all four gun positions.

The guns had been sealed in their emplacements with concrete so all one could see from the...
No rating yet04/04/2007390Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Spanish-American War Fort Ruin, North End Wassaw

Spanish-American War Fort Ruin, North End Wassaw

Built in 1898 into the dunes on the north end of Wassaw, it was part of the Endicott system of coastal forts. Today, erosion has removed the dunes, and high tides now are working against the remains of the fort—a huge, slumping block of poured concrete, oyster tabby, and North Georgia granite—which probably won't see a second 100 years. Constructed by civilians supervised by U.S. Army Corps of ...
No rating yet04/04/2007494Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Castle of San Felipe, at the mouth of the estuary Ferrol

Castle of San Felipe, at the mouth of the estuary Ferrol

Designed by the engineer Montaigu, the Castle of San Felipe was built in 1731-44 over the remains of a previous fortress. The new castle combined the fidelity of the technical teachings of Vauban with a clever adaptation to the landscape. Laid out in the shape of an arrowhead, it directed a double line of fire towards the sea on two levels, with a great facade of fortifications pointing towards...
Rating of 504/04/2007452Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Oranje, Saint Eustatius

Fort Oranje, Saint Eustatius

Fort Oranje was built after the Treaty of Paris in 1816 to protect the Dutch colony's burgeoning salt trade. It was used as the residence of the island's governor until 1836, when it briefly became a prison. A lighthouse was then constructed as salt production and subsequently seaborne traffic to the island increased. Now the fort serves as the office for the harbourmaster.
No rating yet04/03/2007354Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Battery San Carlos at the mouth of the estuary Ferrol

Battery San Carlos at the mouth of the estuary Ferrol

Seven coastal batteries were laid out along the entrance to the Ferrol estuary. Most were installed in the 1730s, as an initial stage in the construction of the Dockyards. The Battery of San Carlos (1772) was the last to be installed.
No rating yet04/03/2007362Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Castle of La Palma, at the mouth of the estuary Ferrol

Castle of La Palma, at the mouth of the estuary Ferrol

Designed by the engineer Montaigu, the Castle of La Palma was built between 1731-44 over the remains of a previous fortress. It was twinned with the Castle of San Felipe, situated on the other side of the entrance to the estuary. Little remains of its original layout, modified by reconstruction in 1895.
No rating yet04/03/2007348Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fortress of Isabel II, Minorca

Fortress of Isabel II, Minorca

The Fortress of Isabel II was built between the years 1850 and 1875; it is located in one of the most beautiful spots on the island of Minorca, constituting one of the best examples of late 19th Century military architecture. Its strategic position above Mahon harbour mouth made it one of the key points in the island’s defence system. At present La Mola represents a valuable Historical Military...
No rating yet04/03/2007502Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Lupin, Saint-Nazaire-sur-Charente

Fort Lupin, Saint-Nazaire-sur-Charente

Fort Lupin (also called Fort de la Charente) is located on the southern bank the Charente river, built on a rock midway between the river mouth and the first meander toward Rochefort. This position was very good one, allowing the guns of the fort to either enfilade the Charente against ships of the line trying to enter the river or to fire on the rear of any vessels having successfully passed t...
No rating yet04/03/2007319Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fortress of Belfort

Fortress of Belfort

Belfort lies just the north of the Jura Mountains and the south-east of the Vosges Mountains, controlling the “Gateway of Burgundy”, a natural route between Alsace and Franche-Comte. The old fortified city lies between the River Savoureuse and the bottom of a cliff at whose summit lies the chateau.

Belfort belonged to the Austrian Habsburgs from 1360 to 1636 when the city was ta...
No rating yet04/03/2007258Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Caroline, Jacksonville

Fort Caroline, Jacksonville

Fort Caroline was the first permanent, year-round French colony in North America, founded in present-day Jacksonville, Florida in 1562, but it lasted only a few years before being obliterated by the Spanish.
No rating yet04/01/2007307Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Martello Tower, Ferry Reach, Bermuda

Martello Tower, Ferry Reach, Bermuda

Martello towers (or simply Martellos) are small defensive forts built by the British Empire during the 19th century, from the time of the Napoleonic Wars onwards. They stand up to 40 feet (12m) high (with two floors) and typically had a garrison of one officer and 25 men. Their round structure and thick walls of solid masonry made them very resistant to cannon fire, while their height made them...
No rating yet03/29/2007534Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Pulaski, Georgia

Fort Pulaski, Georgia

Built between 1829 and 1847 on Cockspur Island to protect the river approaches to the city of Savannah, Fort Pulaski was part of America's ambitious Third-System of coastal fortifications. Featuring walls of solid brick seven and one-half feet thick, the fort was considered impregnable by most military authorities. At the beginning of the Civil War, Confederate forces occupied Fort Pulaski, and...
No rating yet03/29/2007349Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in



 

Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way

"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.

Google Earth Hacks © 2005 - 2016 MickMel, Inc - Privacy Statement

GEH in the News - GEH en Espaᯬ - GEH auf Deutsch - GEH en Fran硩s