Locations of famous places in history|
| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|From 1721 until 1736, Fort King George was the southern outpost of the British Empire in North America. A cypress blockhouse, barracks and palisaded earthen fort were constructed in 1721 by scoutmen led by Colonel John "Tuscarora Jack" Barnwell. For the next seven years, His Majesty's Independent Company garrisoned the fort. They endured incredible hardships from disease, threats of S...||03/29/2007||408|
|A pentagonal brick fort with both inner and outer walls, Fort Clinch lies to the northeast of Fernandina Beach at the entrance to the Cumberland Sound. The fort was briefly re-activated in 1898 for the Spanish-American War. In 1935 the State of Florida bought 256 acres that included the then-abandoned fort and the surrounding area. The park opened to the public in 1938.||03/29/2007||549|
|Antonio De Arévalo's plans for the fortress began in 1639. Building was complete in 1789, creating the largest fort to guard Cartagena against pirates, who besieged the city five times between during the sixteeenth century. |
San Felipe was undoubtedly the greatest and strongest fortress of all the Spanish colonies.
|San Jose (Saint Joseph) was one of four coastal batteries built to reinforce San Luis castle, which was designed to defend the Bocachica (narrow mouth) strait, the only entrance to the bay of Cartagena. It was designed by Spanish military engineer Juan de Herrera y Sotomayor. |
|The bay of St Jean de Luz terminates, on its western side, in the small village of Socoa. The entrance to the bay is guarded by Fort Socoa, which is situated on a promontory in extreme north-west of the bay. |
Link to Fort Socoa: http://www.fortified-places.com/socoa.html
|Fort Bellegarde is a fortification in Le Perthus, Roussillon, France. |
Le Perthus became French territory after the Treaty of the Pyrenees (1659). Bellegarde was captured by the Spaniards in 1674, but retaken by Schomberg in 1675.
In 1678 Vauban's plans for the new fortress of Bellegarde were approved.
|Mont Louis, at 1600m above sea level, is a claimant to the title of the highest fortified town in France. Two other towns fortified by Vauban, Briançon & Mont Dauphin, both in the French Alps, covet the title also. Situated on one of the three chief roads joining Roussillon & Spain, Mont Louis bars access from the Cerdagne valley into the narrow descent that carries the road down to Vil...||03/27/2007||486|
|Villefranche-de-Conflent (Catalan Vilafranca de Conflent) is a small walled town in the Pyrénées-Orientales département, southwestern France. |
The town is tightly packed within the original castle walls and is bounded on one side by the road running up into the Cerdagne and on the other by the Conflent.
|On the 9th of August 1945, Nagasaki was the target of the world's second atomic bomb attack. This is where the bomb struck.||03/18/2007||1,478|
|Aerial photograph (April 20, 1936; 8:09 A.M.; altitude 1,068 meters)||03/17/2007||938|
|Skamlingsbanken at Christiansfeld is the highest point in South Denmark with 113 meters.|
1843 it became national site and fiests were held for the danish national feeling.
In the center is a pillar remembering the danish cause but 1863 it was blown up by prussians but re-rised 1866. You can still see the damages from the blow up. Beside the pillar is the flag pole with the danish ...
|This famous castle was the headquarters of the Knights Hospitaller in Syria during the Crusades.||03/07/2007||1,289|
|The Battle of Dybbøl (Danish: Slaget ved Dybbøl; German: Düppeler Schanzen) was the key battle of the Second War of Schleswig and occurred on the morning of April 18, 1864 following a siege lasting from April 7. Denmark suffered a severe defeat against the German Confederation which decided the war.|
On the morning of April 18, 1864 at Dybbøl, the Prussians and Austrians moved int...
|The battle at Rorke's Drift during the afternoon of 22 January 1879, is among the most famous in the history of the British Army. Approximately 4000 Zulus, under the command of Prince Dabulamanzi kaMpande, King Cetshwayo's half-brother, were opposed by 95 effectives of Company B of the 2d Battalion, 24th Warwickshire Regiment, commanded by Lt. Gonville Bromhead. Commissary troops, medical perso...||02/26/2007||581|
|Industria: a Roman colonia near Monteu da Po (Turin, Italy||02/26/2007||279|
|Arg e Ali-Shah also known as Arg e Tabriz, is a remnant of a fortress built in the Ilkhanate period. Currently it is placed in the center of Tabriz, in Iran. |
Historians belive that it was used as a military castle but clerics claim that the structure was initially used as a mosque in its early days, but during the Qajar era was used as a military post, and storage facility for w...
|A spring within the fort provided water supply to the ships that called there, giving it the name "Aguada" (meaning 'water' in Portuguese). On the northern side, it provides a harbour for local shipping. The fort, at present, houses the central jail. A 19th century built lighthouse is situated inside the fortress. |
Immediately south of Candolim, a long peninsula extends...
|Veste Oberhaus is a fortress that was founded in 1219 and, for most of its time, served as the stronghold of the Bishop of Passau, Germany. |
Veste OberhausThe building is located on the mountain crest (St.Georgsberg) between the Danube and the Ilz rivers and dominates the city of Passau that is located on the opposite, right side of the Danube. Below Oberhaus on the tip between t...
|Alamut (Persian: دژ الموت) was once a mountain fortress in the arid hills by the Elburz mountains, south of the Caspian Sea, close to Gazor Khan, near Qazvin, about 100 km from present-day Tehran in Iran. Only ruins remain of this fortress today. ||02/04/2007||1,121|
|Fort Liedot was built in 1810 by Napoleon the first to protect the Island of Aix from invaders. The island of Aix is between the Islands of Oleron and Re. Very close to "Island of Aix" is the famous fort "Fort Boyard". ||02/04/2007||462|
|Tung Chung Fort is a fort located near Tung Chung, on Lantau Island, in Hong Kong. Located near Tung Chung Road, the fort is surrounded by villages of Sheung Ling Pei and Ha Ling Pei. It has a companion Tung Chung Battery on the coast. |
Tung Chung Fort was built in during Shun Hei era (淳熙, 1174 - 1189) of Southern Song Dynasty. Smugglers on the Lantau Island smuggle...
|High above the Old Town of Kronach rises the Rosenberg Fortress. With an area of 23.6 hectares it is considered to be the largest fortifications in Germany. |
The almost completely symmetrical, model fortress complex has evolved over the centuries, surrounded even today by a complex of walls, moats, buildings, and gates. The various stages of building are clearly recognizable - the mediev...
|On June 1st, 1695, the first foundation stone was laid for one of the few remaining 17th century city fortifications to be found in Germany. Today the Petersberg Citadel is an impressive example of European fortification construction dating from the 17th to the 19th centuries. ||02/03/2007||498|
|he Fort de la Rade, on the Ile-d'Aix off Rochefort, was destroyed by the English in 1757, then rebuilt on mightier lines. ||02/03/2007||313|
|Fort Gaines is a historic fort on Dauphin Island, Alabama, United States. It was named for Edmund Pendleton Gaines. Established in 1821, and best known for its role in the Battle of Mobile Bay during the American Civil War. |
Exhibits include the huge anchor from the USS Hartford, Admiral David Farragut's flagship on which he gave his world famous command, "**** the Torpedoes...