Locations of famous places in history|
| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|On June 1st, 1695, the first foundation stone was laid for one of the few remaining 17th century city fortifications to be found in Germany. Today the Petersberg Citadel is an impressive example of European fortification construction dating from the 17th to the 19th centuries. ||02/03/2007||382|
|he Fort de la Rade, on the Ile-d'Aix off Rochefort, was destroyed by the English in 1757, then rebuilt on mightier lines. ||02/03/2007||217|
|Fort Gaines is a historic fort on Dauphin Island, Alabama, United States. It was named for Edmund Pendleton Gaines. Established in 1821, and best known for its role in the Battle of Mobile Bay during the American Civil War. |
Exhibits include the huge anchor from the USS Hartford, Admiral David Farragut's flagship on which he gave his world famous command, "**** the Torpedoes...
|FORT MARLBOROUGH is an old fortress Built in 1713 till 1719 by British East India. As a British colonial heritage, Marlborough is located in the main street of Bengkulu. Inside the building, there is a subway connected to the outside. It was as the second strongest fort built by British in the east after Fort George in Madras, India. Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles in 1817 was appointed by British ...||01/30/2007||676|
|Fort Vredeburg is a fortress built by the Dutch in Yogyakarta during the colonial ages. It is located in front of Gedung Agung, one of 7 presidential palaces in Indonesia and the Sultan Palace called Kraton. It was bulit in 1765 to protect Dutch governor. It is surrounded by a trench that is still visible. |
This square-shaped fortress has 4 watch towers at its 4 corners. In the p...
|Fort Cornwallis is an old star-shaped fort located on the northeastern coast of Penang, Malaysia. It is named after the late 18th century Governor-General of Bengal, India. Fort Cornwallis was built by Captain Sir Francis Light after taking possession of the island from the Sultan of Kedah in 1786. It was originally built with a nibong (Malay: palm trunk) stockade with no permanent structures, ...||01/30/2007||641|
|Fortín de San Gerónimo del Boquerón (Fort Saint Jerome of the Large Entrance) is a small fort located in the entrance to what is known today as Condado, Puerto Rico lagoon in San Juan, Puerto Rico. It was built during the 17th century to replace a smaller battery (called El Boquerón) that stood at the easternmost end of the San Juan islet. The original Boquerón battery defended San Juan from at...||01/30/2007||366|
|The Golubac fortress (Serbian: Голубачки град or Golubački grad) is located near the town of Golubac in north-eastern Serbia, on the right side of the Danube river, and marks the entrance to the Djerdap national park. It was most likely built during the 14th century, and it is a rather large and well-preserved fo...||01/30/2007||606|
|The 'Fort Napoleon' in Oostende is the only still completely intact Napoleonic fortress left in Europe. The 'Fort' stands in the dunes north of the city center. In 1810 Napoleon Bonaparte, then Emperor of France, had it constructed during the French occupation of Belgium. Five hundred Spanish prisoners of war had to build it together with bricklayers from the Oostende area. The fort was finishe...||01/30/2007||477|
|The word originates from the French word "caponnire" - which strictly means capon-cote or house. |
The fire coming from the feature (e.g. muskets, machine-guns, case-shot etc.) sweeps along the bottom of the attendant ditch and so prevents the enemy from establishing itself there. The term is found in current use as late as I7th century.
In some types of ...
|Panama Viejo, located on the Pacific Ocean coast and adjacent to tthe delta of the Abajo river, is the most important archaeological site in the Republic of Panama.|
It is the oldest Spanish settlement on the Pacific coast of the Americas. Founded in 1519 by Pedrarias Dávila, it was abandoned after the attack of the city by the pirate Henry Morgan and never rebuilt. Its ruins we...
|Includes the scuttled German High seas fleet, WW1 British losses, and the Royal Oak.||01/07/2007||693|
|Leith Martello Tower is located within the secure area of the Port of Leith, facing out onto the Firth of Forth. Built in 1809, during the Napoleonic Wars, the 9-m (30-foot) high tower was part of a network designed to prevent a French invasion and see off American Privateers. ||01/02/2007||594|
|This collectionm marks all recipients of the "Medal Of Honor" fromn the China Incursion (1900) onwards. This is a large collection of over 1000 marks. All marks contain, where possible, images of the recipeints and other relevant web links.||12/14/2006||11,842|
|This file marks every holder of the VC (Victoria cross) throughout the world. Over 1300 marks are present in the file. All marks contain, where possible, pictures of the recipient and all relevant links.||12/14/2006||9,140|
|This collection marks the place of birth of the world's most evil serial killers. All marks contain images, various weblinks & crime summation.||12/14/2006||12,665|
|Castle Clinton or Fort Clinton is a circular sandstone fort and national monument in Battery Park at the southern tip of Manhattan, New York City.|
|Map of 1893 Chicago World's Fair overlay. Shows location of original buildings relative to today's park, including the science museum (only original structure remaining). World's fair regaining attention because of best selling book, "Devil in the White City".||11/23/2006||646|
|Petrovaradin fortress (Serbian: Петроварадинска тврђава or Petrovaradinska tvrđava) is a fortress on the Danube river, near Novi Sad in the Serbian province of Vojvodina. The cornerstone of the present-day southern part of the fortress was laid on October 18th...||11/18/2006||664|
|Some Clandestine centers of detention (CCD) in Argentina. |
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Reorganization_Process for more details.
|Constructed in Wellington’s inner harbour in 1885, Fort Buckley was the first fort capable of defending the capital city’s port from a naval attack. |
In the 1870s and 1880s, prompted by growing fears of a Russian invasion, and the increasing realisation that New Zealand could no longer rely solely on either the British navy or the country’s isolation for protection, the New Zeala...
|Mistra Battery is or was one of the most beautiful coastal batteries built in the Mellieha area. Nowadays it is being used as a fish-farm, where a number of alterations were made on it, destroying also parts of it. |
Although the building of a battery was mentioned in the report prepared by the commissioners of fortifications Fontet and D’Arginy, it seems that this battery was not...
|Fort Saint Elmo is a fortification on the island of Malta. It stands on the seaward shore of the Sceberras Peninsula that divides Marsamxett Harbour from Grand Harbour, and commands the entrances to both harbours. The majority of the Sceberras Peninsula is now occupied by Malta's capital city Valletta. |
Prior to the arrival of the Knights of Malta, a watchtower existed on this po...
|During the 18th Century the idea of fortifying the Island was taken seriously by Grand Master Manoel De Vilhena. Fort Manoel was built in 1726 on the plans of De Tigne and François De Mondion who were French Military Engineers. Amongst the fortifications of the inner harbour area for Manoel stands up for its compactness and for being constructed in a single phase. It was described as the classi...||10/13/2006||599|
|This medieval tower, a fantastic honey-coloured combination of Western and Arab architecture, was built for the Knights of Malta in 1410.||10/12/2006||438|