Items related to World War II (1939-1945)|
| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|If Hitler's audacious invasion plans had meant fetching up at Moss-bay, his Wehrmacht shock-troops would have been in for a nasty set-back. Anti-tank blocks - ingeniously cast in ladles from a mixture of slag and iron - stretched from the works of the Workington Iron and Steel Company at Moss-Bay, all the way to Harrington. This regimentally aligned barrier of 'skulls', of which they were to be...||04/19/2008||1,714|
|The 'Robin' hangar pictured here stands with a couple of other small buildings; all that remain of Satellite Landing Ground No:9 located just east of Penrith along the A66. ||04/19/2008||556|
|A small dispersal WWII military aircraft hangar featuring an "A" shaped steel frame clad wit corrugated iron; end doors were supported by outriggers when open.Typically use on aircraft storage units or satellite landing grounds. Variations in size. ||04/19/2008||577|
|Theresienstadt concentration camp (often referred to as Terezín) was a Nazi concentration camp during World War II. It was established by the Gestapo in the fortress and garrison city of Terezín (German name Theresienstadt), located in what is now the Czech Republic.|
|Many Polish casualties of World War 2 were buried in this special section of Newark Cemetery (which lies just beyond the mortuary rooms), including their leader General Sikorsky, whose remains were relatively recently returned to Poland. This photo http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~jimella/m602501.jpg was taken on 2nd November 2002. ||02/19/2008||808|
|B-24J Liberator 42-52003 of the 27th Air Transport Group crashed on 11th October 1944. Parts of the wreckage still remain. Just oe of many aircraft lost in this area....||02/03/2008||1,756|
|On 13.04.1945 12:58 1st Lt Shannon Eugene Estill took off in his P-38 Lightning from airfield Straßfeld near Euskirchen. Together with his comrades of the 428th Fighter Squadron they were tasked to find German tanks near Torgau and eliminate them.|
Estill is a 22 year old pilot from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He had married his wife just before he left for Europe. In April he got a lette...
|M.K.B. Malo Terminus was build on top of the old French battery Zuydcoote (1778). The old battery was build as defense against the British, after France agreed to the independence of the United States of America. |
Some of the bunkers that still exist today:
four 671 (Schartenstand für Geschütze auf Mittlere Sockellafette (120°) ohne Nebenräume),
a M 162a (Leitstand ...
|Four 671 (Schartenstand für Geschütze auf Mittlere Sockellafette (120°) ohne Nebenräume) were built here, but only two are remaining. These bunkers were camouflaged as houses with specially shaped roofs and painted windows and doors. ||12/21/2007||595|
|This looks like a comic monster, made from the woods.|
It actually used to be a German military sender in the 1930s and 1940. It was destrouyed, but there are still steel and concrete remains visible. There used to be a little pond with crystal clear water where there seems to be the mouth of the monster.
|During the period of National-socialism in Germany J. A. Topf & Soehne produced crematories as well as parts of the gas chambers for concentration- and extermination camps, thus making it possible to put the antisemitic extermination program into action. The former headquarter of the company is located in Erfurt and today it is a deserted industrial area.|
|The crash site of aircraft 41-38608, a Second World War American Douglas Dakota (also known as the C-47 Sytrain), which crashed near Dawson Farm near Bosley on 22-DEC-1944. The aircraft belonged to the 33rd Photo Reconnaissance Squadron of the 363 Tactical Air Command Reconnaissance Group, United States Army 9th Air Force. It was on an aborted flight from Burtonwood to le Culot in France: the a...||11/16/2007||1,393|
|The crash site of aircraft L4189, a British Handley Page Hampden Mark I bomber, which crashed on 30th September 1940 at Black Edge. It belonged to 106 Squadron, based at Finningley. It was on a navigation exercise at night when it crashed. In the opening years of the 21st century some small fragments of aircraft wreckage were still noted on site. |
Please note that a licence to ex...
|The crash site of aircraft X3941, a British Vickers Wellington Mark III bomber, which crashed on 30th January 1943. The aircraft belonged to Number 27 Operational Training Unit. It was on a night-time exercise from Church Broughton when the crash occurred. The aircraft was operating over hilly terrain around Beeley Moor, it struck a line of trees near Gladwins Mark and crashed into a field. Two...||11/15/2007||1,368|
|Heidefriedhof cemetery, Dresden.|
Location of mass grave for the estimated 35,000 victims of the Allied bombing raids in February 1945. Many other victims were cremated on the Altmarkt. A sad reminder of the horrors of war.
|Location of Taffy 3 Memorial, in remembrance of “The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors”, during the Battle off Samar, the final stage of the Battle of Leyte Gulf, the largest naval battle in history. ||11/06/2007||776|
|From here on october 18th. 1941 (1251 jews), more than 55000 Berlin jews were sent to the concentration camps of Theresienstadt, Riga, Lodz, Warzaw and later end 1942 directly to the death camp of Auschwitz where they were murdered from this station. To Auschwitz alone drowearound 35 trains with 17000 jews.|
This took place until march 27. 1945.
Of cause this track ...
|The Tallboy was an Earth quake bomb developed by Barnes Wallis and brought into operation by the British in 1944. It weighed five tons and, carried by the Avro Lancaster bomber, was effective against concrete structures against which earlier, smaller bombs had proved ineffective. ||10/24/2007||2,408|
|The RAF Fauld explosion was a military accident which occurred at 11:11am on Monday, 27th November 1944 at the RAF Fauld underground munitions storage depot. |
Between 3,450 and 3,930 tons (3,500 and 4,000 tonnes) of ordnance exploded—mostly comprising high explosive (HE)-filled bombs, but including a variety of other types of weapons and including 500 million rounds of rifle ammu...
|Nore Fort was the nearest of the Maunsell forts to the shore, situated north east of Sheerness on the Isle of Sheppey. Built at the same time as Shivering Sands and Red Sands it was also built with the same configuration and design. |
It was abandoned by the army when the War ended, though the fort was maintained for several years afterwards.
The fort was damaged b...
|There were eleven Dachu sub-camps near Landsberg am Lech, all with the name Kaufering, numbered I through XI. Kaufering I and Kaufering IV had been designated as sick camps for prisoners who could no longer work. Kaufering IV was liberated by the 12th Armored Division on April 27, 1945 with help from soldiers in the 101st Airborne Division, who arrived on April 28, 1945.|
|Another base in Hamburg was the mostly similarly constructed "Fink II", built from 1940 to 1942 with an overall length of 139 m and a width of 153 m, containing five boxes of 22,5 m width each after the final completion. Fink II was built on existing land and then dug out from there, and the Ruesch-Canal which led to the basin was widened. The fifth box was not constructed until April...||06/25/2007||1,559|
|Stormy Weather took off from Polebrook Airfield, Northamptonshire, UK, on the morning of the 24th May 1944. The mission was to bomb Berlin. Stormy Weather was the lead plane in the bomber formation. Prior to take off the crew had made their own plane "Clay Pigeon" ready, however when they received orders to start up, they experienced serious engine problems. The crew had to move hurriedly to th...||06/24/2007||1,621|
|NAS Hitchcock was established on 22 May 1943. Commander Charles W. Roland was installed as base commander and 133 personnel were assigned to the station. The first airship arrived on 13 June, and base manpower expanded with the establishment of Blimp Squadron (ZP) 23. Later, detachments arrived from ZPs 21, 22 and 24. During the ensuing year, numerous patrols were made over Galveston Bay and th...||05/03/2007||1,361|
|In 1942, with World War II raging in Europe and the Pacific, the Navy set out to build 17 blimp hangars across the nation as the anchor for a network of blimp squadrons that would patrol the Pacific, and act as escorts for coastal convoys. Two of those hangars were located at the newly opened Naval Air Station Tillamook.|
A hard winter drug out construction of Hanger B for nine mo...