Items related to World War II (1939-1945)|
| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Old airfield in Australia used by the allies in World War 2||08/26/2010||381|
|Old airfield in Australia used by the allies in World War 2||08/26/2010||227|
|Old airfield in Australia used by the allies in World War 2||08/26/2010||231|
|Old airfield in Australia used by the allies in World War 2||08/26/2010||221|
|Old airfield in Australia used by the allies in World War 2||08/26/2010||234|
|The Panther was a tank fielded by Nazi Germany in World War II that served from mid-1943 to the end of the European war in 1945. It was intended as a counter to the T-34, and to replace the Panzer III and IV, and, while never replacing the latter, it served along it as well as along the heavier Tiger tanks until the end of the war. The Panther's excellent combination of firepower, mobility, and...||08/08/2010||1,006|
|This launch ramp for the V-1 was in use from 1943 by the Flakregiment 155 (W) for testing. |
Today it is located on the camping area in the forrest near Zempin.
|Bunker Aachen Forest|
(Germany - Nordrhein-Westfalen - Aachen)
This bunker was part of the Westwall and was build in 1939. It was of type Regelbautyp SK/6a No. 153 and was 10.7 by 12 metres tall. The walls are 2 metres thick and the bunker had a armoured dome with a MG 08. The crew existed of 9 soldiers.
On 13 and 14 September 1944 there were fights a...
|These guns were designed at the "Bolshevik" factory and were a result of the energetic Russian efforts to get foreign assistance for the design and construction of their naval guns and turrets. Much of this assistance came from Italy, whose influence can also be seen in the design of Soviet cruisers as well as in naval guns.|
As originally planned, this weapon would hav...
|The reason why these gigantic cannons came to Møvik was that on the occupation of Norway and Denmark in 1940 the Germans needed to guard the shipping lanes of the Skagerak. 38 cm cannons were planned here at Møvik and across the shortest distance over the Skagerak to Hanstholm in Denmark, some 116 km away. At Møvik construction commenced in the spring of 1941. At the initial stage the work forc...||02/16/2010||678|
|There are three launch pads for the Luftwaffe Bachem Ba 349 Natter rocket interceptors located in the Hasenholz forest near Kirchheim/Teck. They are all that remain from the once active launch site constructed in 1945. The three launchpads are arranged in the form of an equilateral triangle, whose sides point toward the east and the south. The distance between the launchpads is approximately ...||02/02/2010||2,011|
|When Germany annexed Klaipeda region, this presented a perfect opportunity to implement the plans; already on July 10, 1939 the Chief German Navy Authority decided to install permanent artillery batteries by the Klaipeda port. A battery located to the north of Smiltine was named Memel-Süd, and another one installed 5 kilometres to the north-west of the city became Memel-Nord. The two batteries ...||01/31/2010||1,122|
|The radar station to the east of Pointe du Hoc mistaken as their landing place by Col Rudder and his Rangers on the morning of d-day.|
The is was German Navy Radar station named "Imme" and had a Wuzburg Riese a Freya and a Seetakt Gema installed on the site.
The site was extensively bombed around D-day and not much remains. The SK building that housed th...
|The Battle Box is a popular name of the underground command centre constructed under Fort Canning, Singapore as an emergency, bomb-proof command centre during the Malayan campaign and the Battle of Singapore. The decision to surrender Singapore was taken in this bunker on the morning of February 15, 1942, four days after Lt. Gen. Percival's Combined Operations Headquarters (COH) was moved here ...||01/17/2010||475|
|Ouvrage Hochwald is an ouvrage of the Maginot Line. Located in the Fortified Sector of Haguenau in the community of Drachenbronn-Birlenbach, it was designed to protect the Northern Vosges region. The Ouvrage Hochwald is often considered as two separate ouvrages because of the anti-tank ditch separating the western and the eastern portions of the ouvrage, and is the largest of the Maginot ouvrag...||01/17/2010||510|
|This radar station came under the jurisdiction of the Luftwaffe, and over 200 officers and enlisted men served here The power for the radar and associated equipment came from diesel generators housed in underground bunkers. The earliest radar installed here was the Freya, which was completed in the autumn of 1940 and could only give a two dimensional picture: i.e. just the distance of ships or ...||01/17/2010||537|
|Near the Hameau des Asselins lies the most interesting of German bunkers. This is a rare Mammut radar installation (named Gouesneraie), used not only for detecting shipping, but it also gave the range for the guns to either side of it. The bunker is quite a rare V143 type of which only four were built. The Mammut radar was called hoarding by the British, because of its size and shape. It sat o...||01/17/2010||480|
|The village of La Pernelle was well favored by the Germans. Not only did they build two gun emplacements near the village, they also installed one of the largest |
"Coast Watcher” radar installations in the village. The choice was a simple one, the village sits high on hills just to the north of Quettehou, overlooking the eastern approaches of the Bay of the Seine.
|On the outskirts of the town at the edge of the camping site is a radio guidance bunker. The bunker is 130 meters above the sea. The system used here was the second generation of radio guidance called Y-Gerat. For an explanation of this system consult the pages on Fort Allemand. The aerial was mounted on the roof of the bunker and was rotated to its position on a rail, the supports of this rai...||01/15/2010||385|
|Erika was a late development in radio guidance, and came too late to have much effect on the German’s war effort. They had started with Knickebein, then progressed to X-Gerat and Y-Gerat, all of which were far superior to anything the Allies had at that time. The only problem with this system was the large number of bunkers needed which allowed the planes of the RAF to spot the installations. E...||01/15/2010||548|
|This was never a fort, but after the German invasion the local population were excluded from all sensitive sites such as this and it became known as " The German Fort".|
On the same day that this region of France fell to the invading Germans they were seen surveying this site. (June 18th 1940) They needed a site on high ground on which to build a new and early form of radio guid...
|Near the village of Hardinvast, to the south of Cherbourg there is a V1 site , possibly the last of the "ski" to be partly constructed.|
At the end of 1943 when the Gestapo took control of both the V1 and V2 programmes, they decided that these larger sites were a liability as they were being visited by both British and American bombers.
The site is also built with local b...
|La Glacerie is one of nine V1 Ski sites in Normandy. The buildings are mostly made from local brick and only the bunker is made from concrete. The ramp shows signs of bomb damage, but the rest of the site remains in good condition. This is one of the few sites that has not been taken over completely for farm usage, although it always seems that the anti magnetic building makes a very fine cow s...||01/15/2010||590|
|4,001 German soldiers are buried here.||01/15/2010||424|
|3,911 German soldiers are buried here.||01/15/2010||396|