Google Earth Hacks | File Downloads | Categories | Most Popular | Newest | Top Rated | By State | By Country
Google Earth Hacks Login | Register    
Logging in will reduce the number of ads that you see    
 
(advanced search)

Subscribe in a reader Get updates by e-mail Follow GEH on Twitter Follow Mickey on Twitter

Dig Deeper


World War II

Items related to World War II (1939-1945)


Files Available In This Category


To see only files from a specific country in this category select below:
Country -

 RatingDownloads 

German War Cemetery Gorlowka

German War Cemetery Gorlowka

This German war cemetery is the cemetery of POW-camp 242. There are more than 700 graves from the Second World War. The war cemetery is located on Gorlovka city cemetery.

http://www.ww2museums.com/article/9574/German-War-Cemetery-Gorlowka.htm
No rating yet12/23/2009575Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

German War Cemetery Kiew

German War Cemetery Kiew

This German war cemetery near Kiev is set up for bringing German war graves from the Second World War of this region together. In 2009, there were 21,530 graves on this war cemetery. At the end there will be about 40,000 graves.

http://www.ww2museums.com/article/9576/German-War-Cemetery-Kiew.htm
No rating yet12/23/2009574Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

German War Cemetery Berjosa

German War Cemetery Berjosa

This German war cemetery is set up for bringing German war graves from the Second World War of this region together. At the end there will be about 50,000 graves.

http://www.ww2museums.com/article/9700/German-War-Cemetery-Berjosa.htm
No rating yet12/23/2009504Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

German War Cemetery Joehvi

German War Cemetery Joehvi

This German war cemetery, next to Jöhvi Communal Cemetery, contains about 3,000 graves of soldiers who were killed at the Narwa-front in summer 1944.

http://www.ww2museums.com/article/3629/German-War-Cemetery-J%F6hvi.htm
No rating yet12/23/2009466Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

German War Cemetery Frauenburg - Saldus

German War Cemetery Frauenburg - Saldus

This war cemetery is the largest war cemetery in the Baltic countries. It is used to bring German war graves from the Kurland-region together. There are now more than 20,000 graves on the cemetery, and there is in total room for 30,000 graves.

http://www.ww2museums.com/article/3616/German-War-Cemetery-Frauenburg-%2F-Saldus.htm
No rating yet12/23/2009530Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

German War Cemetery Beberbeki

German War Cemetery Beberbeki

In the middle of the forest this German war cemetery is located. It is used to bring together the graves out of the surrounding regions. There are now 2,412 graves on this cemetery.

The names of 6,600 German soldiers who were buried in Riga but whose graves are covered with a civilian cemetery are written on columns. Also the names of 1200 died POW’s are written on separate colum...
No rating yet12/23/2009409Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Cemetery murdered German Jews in  the Riga-Bikernieki-Forest

Cemetery murdered German Jews in the Riga-Bikernieki-Forest

Between 1941 and 1944, 25,000 German Jews were deportated to Riga and killed in Bikernieki Forest. They were buried in mass graves in the middle of the forest. After the war these mass graves were found back and they are now marked with a remembrance column. There is also a central memorial. This memorial contains the names of the killed.

http://www.ww2museums.com/article/3620/Ce...
No rating yet12/20/2009508Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Atomic bomb loading pit 1 and 2 on Tinian

Atomic bomb loading pit 1 and 2 on Tinian

From these pits, the atomic bombs "Little Boy" and "Fat Man" were loaded into the B-29'ers "Enola Gay" and "Bockscar" on Augst 6 and 9, 1945 and eventually dropped above Hiroshima and Nagasaki. "Little Boy" caused the death of approxiametly 200.000 people by 1950, of whom 70.000 were killed instantly by the blast.

"Fat Man" caused the death of approxiametly 80.000 people by the e...
No rating yet12/20/20091,005Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Gordolon (Maginot Line Gros Ouvrage)

Fort Gordolon (Maginot Line Gros Ouvrage)

The gros ouvrage of Gordolon which was manned by 246 men is located close to the western bank of the River Vésubie at the end of a long dead end road off the D2565.Approaching the site the road becomes more overgrown and rutted and is eventually blocked by a fallen tree.

The main entrance (Block 1) is a further 200 yards along the road.

Gordolon is on two levels w...
No rating yet12/14/2009566Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Fort Le Barbonnet (Maginot Line Gros Ouvrage)

Fort Le Barbonnet (Maginot Line Gros Ouvrage)

The original fort of Le Barbonnet stands on a mountain top overlooking Sospel.(2752 feet above sea level) It was built between 1883 and 1886 as part of the Séré de Rivières defences. The fort was renovated and rearmed in 1932 and in 1940 the Gros Ouvrage of Le Barbonnet (with a linking tunnel to the old fort) was built at a slightly lower level alongside. The main fighting block (B2) is just be...
No rating yet12/14/2009514Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

North Killingholme Airfield - Old Hangar

North Killingholme Airfield - Old Hangar

Old hangar (RAF type B1) on the North side of the former North Killingholme airfield.

RAF North Killingholme is a former Royal Air Force station in England, used during the later years of World War II. It was located just to the west of the village of North Killingholme in North Lincolnshire.

The station opened in November 1943 and became fully operational in Janua...
No rating yet12/10/2009406Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Exercise Tiger Memorial - Sherman Tank - Torcross

Exercise Tiger Memorial - Sherman Tank - Torcross

Torcross is a village in the South Hams district of Devon. It stands at the southern end of Slapton Sands, which was the scene in 1944 of the ill-fated Exercise Tiger, a full-scale rehearsal for the D-Day invasion of Normandy. Nine German torpedo boats (E-boats), alerted by heavy radio traffic, intercepted the exercise sinking two tank landing ships. This Sherman tank, sunk in the action, was r...
No rating yet12/10/2009457Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

D-Day Training Site near Appledore

D-Day Training Site near Appledore

On the edge of Braunton Burrows still stand 4 concrete structures replicating the drive off of landing craft on to the beach. The plaque above the poppy wreath states "In commemoration of those members of the Allied forces who trained here for the liberation of Europe. D Day June 6th 1944."
No rating yet12/10/2009420Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Former Balloon Barrage Site near North Killingholme

Former Balloon Barrage Site near North Killingholme

These buildings off Station Road are the remains of Site 7 of "F" Flight (based at East Halton) of the Humber Estuary Balloon Barrage. The balloons defended the nearby Admiralty oil storage depot.
No rating yet12/08/2009472Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Remains of the Mulberry Harbour - Beetle Pontoon

Remains of the Mulberry Harbour - Beetle Pontoon

Beetles were pontoons that supported the "Whale" piers. They were moored in position using wires attached to "Kite" anchors which were also designed by Allan Beckett. These anchors had such high holding power that very few could be recovered at the end of the War; the only known surviving one is displayed in a private museum at Vierville-sur-Mer.
No rating yet12/05/2009733Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Remains of the Mulberry Harbour - Whale Element near Cunelieres

Remains of the Mulberry Harbour - Whale Element near Cunelieres

The dock piers were code named "Whale". These piers were the floating roadways that connected the "Spud" pier heads to the land. The roadways were made from torsionally flexible bridging units that had a span of 80 ft., mounted on pontoon units of either steel or concrete called "Beetles". After the war many of the "Whale" bridge spans from Arromanches we...
No rating yet12/03/2009843Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Remains of the Mulberry Harbour - Whale Element near Manicamp

Remains of the Mulberry Harbour - Whale Element near Manicamp

he dock piers were code named "Whale". These piers were the floating roadways that connected the "Spud" pier heads to the land. The roadways were made from torsionally flexible bridging units that had a span of 80 ft., mounted on pontoon units of either steel or concrete called "Beetles". After the war many of the "Whale" bridge spans from Arromanches wer...
No rating yet12/03/20091,141Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Mulberry Harbour Remains - Beetle Pontoon

Mulberry Harbour Remains - Beetle Pontoon

Beetles were pontoons that supported the "Whale" piers. They were moored in position using wires attached to "Kite" anchors which were also designed by Allan Beckett. These anchors had such high holding power that very few could be recovered at the end of the War; the only known surviving one is displayed in a private museum at Vierville-sur-Mer.
No rating yet12/03/2009806Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Remains of the Mulberry Harbour - Whale Element

Remains of the Mulberry Harbour - Whale Element

The dock piers were code named "Whale". These piers were the floating roadways that connected the "Spud" pier heads to the land. The roadways were made from torsionally flexible bridging units that had a span of 80 ft., mounted on pontoon units of either steel or concrete called "Beetles". After the war many of the "Whale" bridge spans from Arromanches we...
No rating yet12/03/2009551Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Mulberry Harbour Prototype - Beetle Pontoon near to Garlieston

Mulberry Harbour Prototype - Beetle Pontoon near to Garlieston

Rocky shore of Port Whapple with washed up beetle pontoons. The beetle pontoons were parts of floating roadways on Mulberry harbours used during the D-day landings. These pontoons were used during testing of floating harbour concepts in Garlieston village in the 1940s.
No rating yet12/03/20091,310Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Remains of the Mulberry Harbour - Beetle Pontoon

Remains of the Mulberry Harbour - Beetle Pontoon

The remains of a beetle pontoon - a part of the mulberry harbours used during the World War 2 D-day landings. This pontoon and a few others litter the rocky shore of Eggerness, having broke free from moorings during a storm when they were being tested during the war. The pontoons were that badly damaged they were deemed unsalvagable and have remained on the rocks ever since.
No rating yet12/03/2009489Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Ferro-concrete barges near to Rainham

Ferro-concrete barges near to Rainham

These barges were built to serve as part of a Mulberry Harbour in connection with the D-Day Landings in World War 2. They appear to be made largely of concrete set in a steel framework.
No rating yet12/02/2009434Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Mulberry Harbour Prototype near to Garlieston

Mulberry Harbour Prototype near to Garlieston

Visible offshore is a sunken prototype of one of the three types of Mulberry Harbour tested here during World War II. This is the "hippo" type - a floating concrete caisson with a steel superstructure.

Remains of a Mulberry Harbour Protoype (floating harbours used during the 2nd World War D-Day landings) pictured at an extremely low tide. The floating harbours were tes...
No rating yet12/01/2009534Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Remains of the Mulberry Harbour - Whale Units

Remains of the Mulberry Harbour - Whale Units

The dock piers were code named "Whale". These piers were the floating roadways that connected the "Spud" pier heads to the land. The roadways were made from torsionally flexible bridging units that had a span of 80 ft., mounted on pontoon units of either steel or concrete called "Beetles". After the war many of the "Whale" bridge spans from Arromanches we...
No rating yet12/01/20091,172Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in

Remains of the Mulberry Harbour - Phoenix Breakwater

Remains of the Mulberry Harbour - Phoenix Breakwater

The Phoenix breakwaters were a set of reinforced concrete caissons constructed by civil engineering contractors around the coast of Britain in World War II. They were collected and sunk at Dungeness, the Cant, and Pagham , and then towed across the English Channel to form the Mulberry harbour breakwaters together with the 'Gooseberry' block ships.
<br><br>
Several Phoe...
No rating yet12/01/20091,730Google Earth Logo
Google Maps Logo
Virtual Earth Logo
Yahoo Maps Logo
Google Earth Plug-in



 

Google Earth Hacks is not affiliated with Google in any way

"Google" and "Google Earth" are trademarks of Google Inc.

Google Earth Hacks © 2005 - 2018 MickMel, Inc - Privacy Statement

GEH in the News - GEH en Espaᯬ - GEH auf Deutsch - GEH en Fran硩s