Items related to World War II (1939-1945)|
| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|The Phoenix breakwaters were a set of reinforced concrete caissons constructed by civil engineering contractors around the coast of Britain in World War II. They were collected and sunk at Dungeness, the Cant, and Pagham , and then towed across the English Channel to form the Mulberry harbour breakwaters together with the 'Gooseberry' block ships.|
Several Phoenix breakwaters are ...
|During the second world war there was a barrage balloon testing station here and this large shed was used to store the balloon. A large number of different trials and experiments took place here and nearby.||11/20/2009||380|
|This shipwreck belongs to the former Japanese transport ship "Borneo Maru", which sunk on 5 October 1942 during the Aleutian Islands Campaign (3.6.1942 - 15.8.1943).|
|Midway Atoll (or Midway Island or Midway Islands, pronounced /ˈmɪdweɪ/; Hawaiian: Pihemanu Kauihelani ) is a 2.4 mi² (6.2 km²) atoll located in the North Pacific Ocean (near the northwestern end of the Hawaiian archipelago), about one-third of the way between Honolulu and Tokyo. Midway Atoll is an unorganized, unincorporated territory of the United States. It is less than 140 ...||11/19/2009||540|
|All you want to know about Berlin during WW2: Hitler's chancellery, ministers, U-Bahn, places of interest; Feedback welcomed ( see email adress on Hitler's placemarks ) ||11/16/2009||9,758|
|A remnant from WWII on Gullane Links. There are a lot of these scattered around the East Lothain coast.||11/15/2009||349|
|Relics of the wartime defences for RAF Scampton.||11/15/2009||547|
|Lager Helgoland was a Nazi concentration camp on Alderney in the Channel Islands, named after the Frisian Island of Heligoland (in English, Helgoland), a former British possession handed over to Germany in 1890.|
The Germans built four concentration camps on Alderney, subcamps of the Neuengamme concentration camp (located in Hamburg, Germany). Each subcamp was named after one of t...
Operator: USAAF 303rd Bomb Group (H); 360th BS
Accident Date: 16 December 1944
Accident Site: West Hill (The Cheviot)
Aircraft Accident Details
Together with others, the nine-man crew of B-17G 44-6504 had been given a mission to bomb a railway marshalling yard in Ulm, Germany. However, due to deteriorating weather conditions, th...
|This is a 4-berth Landing Craft Troop (LCT) hard built in May 1943 and used for D Day embarkation in June 1944. The adjacent harbourside area has recently been rebuilt.||11/13/2009||356|
|Built by Canadian servicemen in 1942, the metal bridge is a Callender-Hamilton Truss type to allow passage of wartime tanks over the River Lydden, saving the old masonry bridge a few feet away. When the photo was taken, resurfacing had exposed the wooden double-length-sleeper deck, which was found to be partially rotted and required complete replacement, extending closure of the bridge from 10 ...||11/13/2009||350|
|In early 1944, 2nd SS Panzer Division Das Reich was stationed in the southern French town of Montauban north of Toulouse to gain new equipment and freshly trained troops. After the D-Day invasion in Normandy, France, Das Reich was ordered to make its way across the country to stop the Allied advance. In the days leading up to the Allied D-Day landings at Normandy, the local French Resistance ha...||11/05/2009||458|
|On the Central Cemetery of Szcecin are the graves of soldiers who perished in World War 2. Among them are 3.012 soviet soldiers, 20 soviet citizens and 367 Polish soldiers.|
There are also 33 Belgian and 6 Polish POW's buried on an other part of the cemetery.
|"Lili Marleen" (a.k.a. "Lili Marlene", "Lily Marlene", "Lili Marlène" etc.) is a German love song, which became popular during World War II. The poem was originally titled "Das Mädchen unter der Laterne" (German for "the girl under the lantern"), but it became famous as "Lili Marleen".|
|Janowska was a German Nazi labor, transit and concentration camp established September 1941 in occupied Poland on the outskirts of Lwów (Poland, today Ukraine). The camp was labeled Janowska after the nearby street's name ulica Janowska, nowadays Shevchenka street - Ukrainian: Вулиця Шевченка.|
|Stp.Gr. Petten XVIb HL, Bpt 55a L 'Elektra-Sonne 5'|
'Elektra-Sonne 5' has been used by the German navy and air force for navigation over long distances. The system contained several big antennas, approximately 100m high, which were used to send and receive signals. The Germans had build several of these stations along the entire European coast line (Atlantikwall).
|This yacht belonged to Karl Dönitz, was a German naval Commander who served in the Imperial German Navy during World War I, and during World War II. A military trophy of the USSR after the World War II. This photo is made in the Southern bay of Sevastopol. On the yacht repair work at this time was spent.||09/26/2009||1,136|
|The House and grounds were used during WW2 to train spies and approx 5,000 of the general public (Auxiliary Units) in sabotage and guerrilla warfare techniques.|
The house mysteriously burned down in the early 1950th and the remains were demolished 1953. Wher the house stood a garden was build.
|It's a part of the defence line of the Grenzbrigade 4 Westlicher Abschnitt (BL/SO) and used by Division Gempen.||09/24/2009||631|
|When you have passed the city Skagen you can drive up to the utmost north east point of Denmark where the Germans made some fortifications to defence and to control the entrance of the Baltic sea.|
Along the road Nr. 40 just outside Skagen you see a camping/holiday resort.
You can start at the beach and do your search in the direction of the lighthouse. You will encounter ...
|Private John M. Steele was the American paratrooper made famous in the movie, "The Longest Day" who landed in St. Mère-Église, the first village in Normandy liberated by the Americans on D-Day - June 6th, 1944...|
During the first night of Operation Overlord (June 5-6, 1944), American soldiers of the 82nd Airborne parachuted into the area west of St. Mère-Église in succe...
|The Tehran Conference (codenamed Eureka) was the meeting of Joseph Stalin, Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill between November 28 and December 1, 1943, most of which was held at the Soviet Embassy in Tehran, Iran. It was the first World War II conference among the Big Three (the Soviet Union, the United States, and the United Kingdom) in which Stalin was present. It succeeded the Cairo...||09/24/2009||543|
|The Yalta Conference, sometimes called the Crimea Conference and codenamed the Argonaut Conference, was the wartime meeting from 4 February 1945 to 11 February 1945 among the heads of government of the United States, the United Kingdom, and the Soviet Union—President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and Josef Stalin, respectively—for the purpose of discussing Europe's po...||09/24/2009||516|
|Elbe Day, April 25, 1945, was the date Soviet and American troops met at the River Elbe, near Torgau in Germany, marking an important step toward the end of the World War II in Europe. The first contact was made between patrols near Strehla, when First Lieutenant Albert Kotzebue crossed the River Elbe in a boat with three men of an intelligence and reconnaissance platoon. On the east bank, they...||09/24/2009||303|
|At the start of World War II, the Army took over the existing airfield at Harris Neck for training pilots. After WWII, the Army gave the land to McIntosh County. Today it is part of the Harris Neck Wildlife Refuge.|