Items related to World War II (1939-1945)|
| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|This MG-bunker was part of the Marine-base in Bruges (Marinepeilhauptstelle Brügge - MPHS Brügge) in the Castle "Ter Linden".|
The base was bombed twice on 28 May 1944, as a practice for the invasion in Normandy. 40 civilians and 19 germans were killed.
The location of the MG-bunker is nog it's original location. It was moved several tens of metres.
|This English coastal battery was built in 1941 to defend Loch Ewe against a possible German invasion. |
The main armanant consisted of two 6 inch (152.4 mm) guns.
The battery today:It is currently abandoned.
|This Victorian coastal battery was used during World War 2 as observation point for the 'New battery'. It's main armanant composed of anti-aircraft guns.|
The battery today: It is currently opened to the public.
|All German war cemeteries of WW2 in Italy.||09/04/2009||8,726|
|The Polish military field of honor has been placed on the slopes between Point 445 and the abbey on the mountain of Monte Cassino. On this cemetery 1052 soldiers have been buried. The 2nd Polish Army Corps of Lieutenant General Wladyslaw Anders played an important part in the final attack on the German defenses in May 1944. Finally, on May the 18th, a platoon of the 1st Squadron of the 12th Reg...||09/04/2009||335|
|The French war cemetery of Venafro contains the burials of 3.414 French soldiers who fell during the Second World War. This is the biggest French war cemetery from WW2 on Italian soil.|
|The Fosse Ardeatine massacre (Italian: Eccidio delle Fosse Ardeatine) was a mass execution carried out in Rome on 24 March 1944 by German occupation troops during the Second World War as a reprisal for a partisan attack conducted on the previous day in central Rome.|
Subsequently, the Cave Ardeatine (also known as the Fosse Ardeatine) became a National Monument and a Memoria...
|6,807 German soldiers of WW2 are buried here.||09/04/2009||304|
|In this cemetery in Kaliningrad, formerly Königsberg, 9,541 victims of the battle of Königsberg 1945 found their last resting place. Many of them were fugitives from other areas who thaught it was safe here.|
|This English coastal battery was built between 1940 and 1941. The main armanant composed of two 6-inch (152.4 mm) guns.|
The battery today:
It is currently abandoned.
|Just above the harbour you can find the village St. Martin's Battery, it was part of an old fortification.|
At this location were several heavy guns placed to protect the harbour of Dover and the rest of the English coast, as well to attack enemy ships in the Canal. They where not allowed to fire to the coast of France as an answer to German shellings, because that would result in...
|"The Needles" new battery is a product of subsidence problems and concerns about the old battery.|
The main armanant composed of three BL 9.2 inch (233.7 mm) pieces and saw action during World War Two.
The battery today:
It is currently abandoned.
|Flak towers (German: Flaktürme) were large, above-ground anti-aircraft gun blockhouses used by the Luftwaffe to defend against Allied air raids on certain cities during World War II. They also served as air-raid shelters for tens of thousands of people and to coordinate air defence.|
|A replica coastal gun is mounted on it's original emplacement as it was during World War Two.||09/04/2009||323|
|The Bunker (also Reichsbahnbunker) in Berlin-Mitte is a listed air-raid shelter. It was constructed in 1943 by Nazi Germany to shelter up to 2500 Reichsbahn train passengers. The square building has an area of 1000 m² and is 18 metres high; its walls are up to two metres thick. There are 120 rooms on five floors. In May 1945 the Red Army took the building and turned it into a prisoner-of-war ca...||09/04/2009||391|
|The Plötzensee Memorial Center commemorating the victims of National Socialism is a site of quiet remembrance.|
From 1933 to 1945, 2,891 people unjustly sentenced to death by the National Socialist judiciary were executed here. Of these, 68 came from Belgium and 35 of the Netherlands. Half of the people who were executed here came from Germany.
Today, the execution ...
|This construction is an exact copy of the German tank wall as it stood on the Atlantikwall. It was used in 1943 for the purpose of training prior to D-day.||09/04/2009||347|
|This heavy anti-aircraft battery was built during World War 2. It's armanant composed of four 3.7 inch (94 mm) Bofors pieces.||09/04/2009||371|
|This Spigot Mortar Emplacement stands at the entrance to Elvetham Heath.|
|This appealing memorial commemorates the victims of the Holocaust.|
On 7 November 1938, the synagogue and other Jewish buildings in Kassel were destroyed. This was two days before the Kristallnacht.
|On this War Cemetery (Kriegsgräberstätte) of the Second World War are 1736 Russian P.O.W.’s buried. They died in the Stadwaldlager Bocholt because of diseases, hunger and violence. None of them is known by name.|
|Amersfoort concentration camp (Dutch: Kamp Amersfoort, German: Durchgangslager Amersfoort) was a Nazi concentration camp in Amersfoort in the Netherlands. The official name was "Polizeiliches Durchgangslager Amersfoort", P.D.A. or Police Transitcamp Amersfoort. During the years of 1941 to 1945, over 35,000 prisoners were kept here. The camp was situated in the southern part of Amersfo...||09/04/2009||697|
|It was on this airfield of the Messerschmitt Factory Augsburg-Haunstetten on May 10th. 1941, at about 6:00 P.M. that Rudolf Hess took off in a Messerschmitt Bf 110, Messerschmitt to his famous flight to Scotland.|
Today the area is a part of the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS).
Some of the airfield is still visible.
|On May 10, 1941, at about 6:00 P.M., Hess took off from Augsburg in a Messerschmitt Bf 110, and Hitler ordered the General of the Fighter Arm to stop Hess (squadron leaders were ordered to scramble only one or two fighters since Hess's particular aircraft could not be distinguished from others). Hess parachuted over Renfrewshire, Scotland on 10 May and landed (breaking his ankle) at Floors Farm...||09/03/2009||2,033|
|This U-boat bunker is located in Bremen. The bunker was 362m x 68m in size and the roof of the bunker was 4,5m thick. The construction of the bunker started in March 1944 and was never completed.|