Items related to World War II (1939-1945)|
| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Major memorial place for the July 20 assassination plot against Adolf Hitler.|
Under the leadership of the Infantry General Friedrich Olbricht, the Bendlerblock was the focus of military resistance to the Nazi regime. It was here that Olbricht developed the "Valkyrie" operation plan into a plan for a coup d'état against Hitler. In October 1943 Colonel Claus von Stauffenb...
|At the Northern Station (Nordbahnhof) of Stuttgart this memorial: „Zeichen der Erinnerung“ (Marks of Remembrance) is located. It commemorates the more than 2000 Jewish inhabitants of Stuttgart and Württemberg who were deportated between 1941 and 1945. Almost none of them survived the concentration- and extermination camps.|
|Villa Bouchina was a house of internment (a reservation camp) in the Dutch city of Doetinchem where the Germans held nine Jewish people during World War II, with the intention to protect these 'prisoners'. The interned people had had a certain importance to The Netherlands or Germany before the war, and therefore the Germans helped them to survive for a while.|
But there were also...
|Between March 1944 and April 1945, an satellite camp from Neuengamme was located in Barkhausen (Porta Westfalica). It was named Porta (A II Barkhausen) and the location was a party-hall of Hotel Kaiserhof. About 1500 prisoners lived here. They were forced labourers and worked in underground factories.|
|In Kochendorf, an satellite camp of the Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp was located. It was also known as Eisbär. About 1,800 people were imprisoned here and used as slave labour.|
At the end of March 1945, the prisoners were forced to a death march to Dachau. In the camp and during the death march, at least 447 prisoners died.
|Hinzert (SS-Sonderlager Hinzert or Konzentrationslager/KZ Hinzert) was a Nazi concentration camp located in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, 30km away from the Luxembourg border.|
Between 1939 and 1945, 13,600 political prisoners between the ages of 13 and 80 were imprisoned at Hinzert. Many were in transit towards larger concentration camps where most would be killed. However, a si...
|The Reich Ministry for Public Enlightenment and Propaganda (German: Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda or Propagandaministerium) was Nazi Germany's ministry that enforced Nazi Party ideology in Germany and regulated its culture and society. Founded on March 13, 1933, by Adolf Hitler's new National Socialist government, the Ministry was headed by Dr. Joseph Goebbels and was res...||09/03/2009||428|
|Plötzensee Prison (German: Strafgefängnis Plötzensee) was a Prussian institution built between 1869 and 1879 near the lake Plötzensee, but in the neighbouring borough of Charlottenburg, on Hüttigpfad off Saatwinkler Damm. During Adolf Hitler's time in power from 1933 to 1945, more than 2,500 people were executed at Plötzensee Prison. Among them were members of the Red Orchestra (Rote Kapelle), ...||09/03/2009||356|
|The People's Court (German: Volksgerichtshof) was a court established in 1934 by German Chancellor Adolf Hitler, who had been dissatisfied with the outcome of the Reichstag Fire Trial (all but one of the accused were acquitted). The "People's Court" was set up outside the operations of the constitutional frame of law. The court had jurisdiction over a rather broad array of "polit...||09/03/2009||387|
|In 1945, Grand Admiral Karl Dönitz, who was briefly President of Germany for ten days after Adolf Hitler had appointed him his successor and then committed suicide, fled to Flensburg with what was left of his government where they were arrested and unseated at the Naval Academy Mürwik by British troops. Flensburg and the Naval Academy were thereby, for a few weeks, very briefly the last seat of...||09/03/2009||991|
|The Battle of Halbe (German: Kessel von Halbe, Russian: Хальбский "котел", Halbe cauldron) lasted from April 24 to May 1, 1945 was a battle in which the German Ninth Army, under the command of Colonel General Theodor Busse was destroyed by the Red Army during the Battle for Berlin.|
|This cemetery is also known as Waldfriedhof. It is one of the biggest war cemeteries in Germany, with 22,500 burials.|
The cemetery started in 1953 when graves from the surroundings of Halbe were brought together on this place. Still graves were brought to this cemetery, for example 170 graves in 1993.
Most burials are soldiers or members of the so-called Volkssturm...
|The Russian war cemetery (Kriegsgräberstätte) in Frankfurt a/d Oder contains 1453 graves from the Second World War.|
|Next to the Maria-church (Marienkirche) in Stralsund is a small Russian war cemetery from the Second World War.|
|The war cemetery of Rostock contains the burials of 319 Soviet soldiers and 397 forced labourers who perished during World War 2.|
|On 2 May 1945, the death march from Sachsenhausen ended at this location. The 18,000 survivors of the march were liberated then by Russian troops. This memorial commemorates those who died during this march.|
|The Golm (69 m) is the highest hill on the Usedom-island. On this hill started in 1944 a German military cemetery (Kriegsgräberstätte) with more than 1250 killed soldiers of the army, navy and air force.|
On 12 March 1945 the harbour-city Swinemünde, filled with wounded and refugees, was destroyed by 671 American bombers. About 20,000 people were killed and most of them were burie...
|The Second Armistice at Compiègne was signed at 18:50 on 22 June 1940 near Compiègne, in the department of Oise, between Nazi Germany and France. Following the decisive German victory in the Battle of France (10 May–21 June 1940), it established a German occupation zone in Northern France that encompassed all English Channel and Atlantic Ocean ports and left the remainder "free" to be...||08/31/2009||525|
|On this cemetery (Kriegsgräberstätte) are the graves of 2000 casualties, soldiers, civilians and POW’s, of the bombardments on Peenemünde and Karlshagen on 17 and 18 August 1943 and 18 July 1944.|
There are also two mass graves with 56 and 213 forced laborers from the camps Trassenheide I and Trassenheide II, satellite camps of concentration camp Ravensbrück. They had to work on t...
|At the end of the Second World War, younger boys were asked to defend Germany. On 26 April 1945, when the use of a Panzerfaust was explained, it exploded and 23 boys, at the age from 14 to 19, died. Their remains were buried together in a collective grave.|
|This war cemetery contains the burials of ca. 125 Soviet soldiers who fell in 1945 or died in the period thereafter of their wounds.|
|This German bunker was to defend the north-side of the Moerdijk-Bridges.|
This bunker, of type 622 with an extra tobruk, was part of the Baupunkt 97 of the Stutzpunktgruppe Moerdijk.
Fotos and info: http://www.ww2museums.com/article/5691
|This German casemate is a recycled Dutch casemate. The old loop-holes were closed and new made in the northern wall. In front of the bunker is a tobruk for a flame thrower. |
The bunker was part of the Baupunkt 97 of the Stutzpunktgruppe Moerdijk.
More info : http://www.ww2museums.com/article/5692
|This German anti-aircraft emplacement (FLAK) was build on top of a Dutch casemate, at the north side of the Moerdijk Bridge.|
The FLAK-emplacement was part of the Baupunkt 97 of the Stutzpunktgruppe Moerdijk.
|This German coastal battery at Scheveningen was built between 1941 an 1945. The main armanant composed of four 15,5cm guns. |
The battery today:
It is currently abandoned.