Overlays with information about various wars|
| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|Artificial harbour to offload cargo and vehicles after D-Day in Normandy.||07/06/2008||614|
|A few miles east of the small fishing port of Grandcamp, the cliffs form a sheer promontory towering thirty metres above a narrow pebble beach. This is Pointe du Hoc. On this particularly favourable site, the Germans had built a heavy artillery battery capable of raking a wide stretch of coastline. It represented a formidable threat to the two beaches where American troops were going to land: U...||06/11/2008||697|
|RAF Birch is a former World War II airfield in England. It is located about 2 miles north-east of Tiptree in Essex. |
Birch Airfield was assigned USAAF designation as Station 149.
Birch Airfield was allocated in August 1942 to the United States Army Air Force Eighth Air Force for development into a heavy bomber base but construction work did not get under way until well in...
|RAF Boxted (also known as Langham) is a former World War II airfield in England. The field is located west of the A12 road, three miles north of Colchester, and built almost entirely in the village of Langham in Essex. |
The airfield was given the name Boxted, an adjoining village, because there already was an airfield by the name of Langham in north Norfolk. Boxted has the distin...
|RAF Chipping Ongar (also known as Willingale) is a former World War II airfield in England. The field is located chiefly in the parish of Willingale 2 miles north-east from the town of Chipping Ongar and eight miles from Chelmsford in Essex. |
Chipping Ongar airfield was one of 15 airfields in Essex that was allocated to the United States Army Air Forces by the Air Ministry in 194...
|This photo is from an aerial record compiled by the government in 1944 and shows Wanstead Park and surrounds on 7 August 1944. The H.E. and V1 damage to Heronry Pond can be seen, plus V1 damage in Tennyson Avenue and in Wanstead Park Avenue (just in East Ham but dealt with by Wanstead CD). What appears to be a heavy anti-aircraft battery can also be seen on Wanstead Flats.||06/06/2008||649|
|RAF Great Dunmow (Also known as Little Easton) is a former World War II airfield in England. The airfield is located 6 miles East of Bishops Stortford and a mile north of Stane Street, the A120. the main road from Bishops Stortford to Colchester in Essex. |
Great Dunmow airfield was one of 15 airfields in Essex that was allocated to the United States Army Air Forces by the Air Min...
|RAF Gosfield is a former World War II airfield in England located near Gosfield Village in Essex, approximately 4 miles from Braintree and 2 miles from Halstead. During the war it was used by the Royal Air Force and the United States Army Air Force Ninth Air Force as USAAF station 154. |
Gosfield had been utilised as a landing ground during World War I but it is not known if this ...
|RAF Debden is a former RAF airfield in England. The field is located 3 miles SE of Saffron Walden and approximately 1 mile north of the village of Debden in North Essex. |
The airfield was opened in April 1937 and was first used by the Royal Air Force. During the early years of World War II, it was a Sector Station with an Operations Block for No.11 Group RAF during the Battle of ...
|Great Saling was the original Air Ministry name for the airfield when construction was begun in 1942 by the 819th Engineer Battalion (Aviation) of the US Army however on 21 May 1943 the official name was changed to Andrews Field in honour of Lieutenant General Frank M. Andrews. |
Frank M. Andrews was a pioneer exponent of air power and was destined to become a very high ranking fi...
|RAF Warmwell was a Royal Air Force station near Warmwell in Dorset, England from 1937 to 1946. During World War II it was used by the Royal Air Force and the United States Army Air Force Ninth Air Force as USAAF station 454. |
Construction of No. 6 Armament Training Camp began in 1936 and upon completion in 1937 the 300 acres (1.2 km≤) of former farmland was known as RAF Woodsford...
|With the advent of World War II the landing area was increased to around 3,000 ft north to south and 4,500 ft east to west in the early months of the war. An asphalt perimeter track and several hardstands for aircraft parking followed and in 1941 hard-surfaced runways were put down. These were 4,350 ft aligned 13-31, 4,070 ft aligned 08-26 and 2,700 ft at 02-20. |
In 1942, the 08-...
|RAF St Eval was a strategic airbase for the RAF Coastal Command in the Second World War (situated in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom). St Eval's primary role was to provided vital anti-submarine and anti-shipping patrols off the South West coast of England. Aircraft from the base were also used for photographic reconnaissance missions, meteorological flights, convoy patrols, air-sea rescue mi...||06/01/2008||687|
|RAF Davidstow Moor was an airbase near Camelford in Cornwall, United Kingdom from 1942 until 1945. Despite a few periods of intense activity it was one of Coastal Commands's lesser used airfields. |
The land was acquired in 1941 and construction took place in first half of 1942. Providing a three runway airfield with extensive dispersal area. Despite the moorland conditions constr...
|RAF Steeple Morden is a former World War II airfield in England. The field is located 3Ĺ miles W of Royston in Cambridgeshire. |
Between 1940 to September 1942, Steeple Morden was a grass satellite dispersal airfield used by No. 11 Squadron of RAF Bomber Command flying Vickers Wellingtons from RAF Bassingbourn.
When the airfield was turned over for American use, St...
|Note the many CG-4A gliders on the airfield.|
Welford airfield (also called Welford Park) was built as one of the many Operational Training Unit airfields for the Southern Counties and was intended originally as a base for No 92 group Bomber Command. The original design called for a standard RAF 3 runway layout with the main runway of 2000ft aligned NW/SE to be a satellite airfiel...
|Thurleigh (pronounced "THIR-lye") was built for RAF Bomber Command in 1941 by W & C French Ltd. one mile north of the village of Thurleigh on farmland between the farms of Buryfields, Bletsoe Park, Manor, and Whitwickgreen. It was eventually modified to Air Ministry Class A airfield specifications, with three converging runways, extended in 1942 to lengths of 6,000 feet (runway 06-24) and 4,200...||05/30/2008||559|
|Membury airfield was scheduled for construction for RAF operational training use. The major construction work was done in the spring and summer of 1942 to enable Membury to be ready for use that autumn. |
br> Membury was built to the bomber standard of the time and consisted of three runways of 4,554 ft (22-04), 3,430 ft (17-35), and 3,300 ft (27-09). 33 "Frying Pan" hardstands were const...
|RAF Bassingbourn is a former military airbase located in Cambridgeshire approximately 3 miles (5 km) north of Royston, Hertfordshire and 11 miles (18 km) south west of Cambridge. During World War II it served first as an RAF station and then as a bomber base of the U.S. Eighth Air Force. Now known as Bassingbourn Barracks, it functions as a Phase One recruit training base and is home to Army Tr...||05/30/2008||628|
|Duxford Aerodrome (IATA: QFO, ICAO: EGSU) is located 8 nautical miles (14.8 km) south of Cambridge in the village of Duxford, Cambridgeshire, England. |
The airfield is owned jointly by the Imperial War Museum and Cambridgeshire County Council and is the site of the Imperial War Museum Duxford and the American Air Museum.
Duxford Aerodrome has a CAA Ordinary Licenc...
|RAF Fowlmere is a former airfield in the United Kingdom. The airfield is located six miles SW of Cambridge in Cambridgeshire. |
Flying at Fowlmere originated in 1918 when the airfield was used by Royal Air Force and United States Army Air Service Aero Squadrons. After World War I ended, the hangars were all demolished along with the assorted buildings by 1923.
|RAF Kings Cliffe is a former World War II airfield in England. The field is located 12 miles W of Peterborough in Cambridgeshire. Originally the airfield was grass-surfaced but hard-surfaced runways and a perimeter track were laid down early in 1943. |
Kings Cliffe was assigned USAAF designation Station 367. It was the most northerly and furthest west of all Eighth Air Force fight...
|Several heavy bomb attacks in the last two years of the war destroy the airport infrastructure. ||05/22/2008||1,012|
|the site of the old royal navy cordite factory ||04/13/2008||548|
|UNIFIL deployment in south Lebanon as in January 2005. Map coverage overlay.||04/08/2008||917|