Overlays with information about various wars|
| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|At the end of summer 1943 it was decided to establish a new VIII Bomber Command Gunnery School in England, closer to the airbases it was to serve, as the previous school was near Perranporth in Cornwall. |
The existing RAF Combined Gunnery Range at Snettisham was chosen, and the 8AF Provisional Gunnery School was set up there to provide refresher and additional training courses fo...
|Aerial reconnaissance photograph of the city and harbor, taken on 21 June 1944, about a week before its capture by the Allies.||12/12/2009||532|
|Stalag Luft 6 was by far the most northern German WW II POW camp. On lists with POW camps it is always indicated as having been open from 06/'43-07/'44, but this camp has a much longer history. It was built in 1939 as Stalag 1C. The first prisoners were of Polish nationality. In 1940 French and Belgian prisoners were brought to the camp and in 1941 also Russian prisoners.|
It is o...
|Temporary camps formed by rows of bell tents at Wheal Busy, Chacewater in the spring of 1944. These camps housed troops from the United States 29th Division during the build up to D Day. They were headed for Omaha and Utah beaches in Normandy.|
The D-Day staging areas (or "marshalling areas") were known as "sausage camps" because they were indicated on some map...
|Two dolphin moorings serve a series of four concrete hards. The concrete bases of three huts are visible inland of the hards; these would have provided accommodation for the small nucleus of staff manning the hards. The road in the left hand part of the photo was built to connect the hards to the nearest highway.||12/10/2009||663|
|Opened: From August until September 1944. Temporary POW Camp to replace the original Stalag Luft VI, which was closed in July 1944 after complains by Red Cross.|
Camp Description: In summer 1944, Stalag Luft 6 far away in the East was closed, not only because of complaints from the International Red Cross but also because of the Russian pressure against the Germans along the Russi...
|Towards the left of the photo are the huts providing accommodation for the 80 or more soldiers manning the battery; these make use of an eighteenth century redoubt. There are four gun emplacements laid out in a horse-shoe arrangement, each surrounded by an earthwork. Behind these is a rectangular building which is the site command post; on either side of this building are two later gun emplacem...||12/08/2009||1,007|
|The embarkation point towards the top of the photo was designed for the embarkation of landing ships and tanks, that towards the bottom was for the embarkation of landing craft and troops. The circular structures towards the bottom left are fuel storage tanks. Many landing craft operated a shuttle service between England and Normandy taking on diesel from fuelling facilities at the hards.||12/08/2009||816|
|The site of a minefield which formed part of the beach defences at The Rushy Green, Crantock. The former position of the anti-tank mines can be seen as a series of parallel rows of small mounds following their removal at the end of the war. ||12/08/2009||454|
|The small white dots that form concentric circles are the remains of concrete blocks set into the ground and used to anchor the balloonís mooring cables.||12/08/2009||483|
|Glider landings had to be made in the small Normandy fields, and this resulted in many crashes and casualties. The gliders, carrying men of the 325 Glider Infantry, landed in the vicinity of les Forges. Crashes are indicated by arrows.||12/05/2009||2,038|
|Barrage balloons were a very basic form of defence against aircraft and were widely used around towns and strategic targets. They were simply large balloons tethered to fixed moorings on the ground.|
The cables which attached them to the ground were a dangerous obstruction to low-flying aircraft and their deployment around potential targets forced enemy raiders to fly at high alti...
|This view of Torpoint shows the effects of German bombing. The townís location west of Plymouth meant that it sustained heavy bomb damage during the Plymouth Blitz in early 1941. Towards the left is the circular concrete hard standing of a barrage balloon base. To the right of this a row of terraced houses has been cleared after being destroyed during a bombing raid. Following this street down ...||12/05/2009||626|
|Dispersed aircraft pens, consisting of characteristic E-shaped earth banks at St Eval airfield in 1942. Each pen has room for two aircraft. The placing of these pens attempts to conceal them; they are sited on farmland and are laid out along the lines of existing hedges.||12/05/2009||593|
|Utah Beach was the codename for the right flank or westernmost of the Allied landing beaches during the D-Day invasion of Normandy, as part of Operation Overlord on 6 June 1944. Utah was added to the invasion plan toward the end of the planning stages, when more landing craft became available.||12/04/2009||2,023|
|Juno Beach was one of the five main landing sites of the Allied invasion of the coast of Normandy on D-Day during World War II. It was situated between Sword Beach and Gold Beach. It is also known as the Canadian beach, as it was assigned to the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division. Juno Beach stretched from Saint-Aubin-sur-Mer on the east to Courseulles-sur-Mer on the west. The 3rd Canadian Division...||12/04/2009||6,014|
|Bomb-cratered target area at the V-1 launching and storage site at Beauvoir, France. 9th Air Force bombers attacked it 12 times.||12/04/2009||1,613|
|Mount Batten was the only operational military airbase in the South West Peninsula at the outbreak of war in 1939.|
RAF Mount Batten was a Royal Air Force station and flying boat base at Mount Batten, a peninsula in Plymouth Sound, Devon. England. Originally a seaplane station opened in 1917 as a Royal Navy Air Service Station Cattewater it became RAF Cattewater in 1918 and in 192...
|Like many RAF bases of the late 1930s St Eval was originally a grass field site. These proved completely unsuitable in wartime; water logging in wet weather meant that grass airfields were unusable for lengthy periods. The runways in this photo were built during the spring of 1940. The layout of the airfield is typical of the period, with one main runway roughly 1000 metres long and two shorter...||12/04/2009||571|
|The runways are camouflaged and the lines of former field boundaries and a road have been painted over the grass areas of the airfield.||12/04/2009||503|
|St Eval airfield in June 1941. There are bomb craters within the airfield itself and beyond the perimeter track towards the bottom right of the photo. Note also the camouflage paint applied to the runway and to three large hangars and other buildings.||12/04/2009||663|
|A USAAF strike photo of an attack on Deggendorf harbour, Bavaria, on 20 April 1945. Deggendorf was attacked from Douglas A-20 Havocs of the 426th Bomb Group. The Siriuswerke ("Deggendorfer Bleicherde - Fabriken") and the Wallner company were destroyed. A 5000 t grain silo and twelve oil tanks were destroyed at Wallner, as were the quais and most of the buildings. The photo shows most ...||12/02/2009||1,829|
|128 Lancasters of No 3 Group to the new target of Koblenz, making a night G-H attack. 2 Lancasters lost. This was a successful raid with most of the damage being caused by a large area of fire in the centre of the town. The British Bombing Survey Unit later estimated that 303 acres, 58 per cent of the town's built-up area, were destroyed.||12/02/2009||7,194|
|Of 380 B-17s dispatched, all hit targets of opportunity, i.e., marshalling yards at Koblenz (87), Dillenburg (39), Limburg (37) and Darmstadt (24); bridges at Limburg (35), Koblenz (25) and a bridge over the Rhine River at Koblenz (13); and Wiesbaden (38), Wetzlar (14), the railroad line at Koblenz (13) and Wiesbaden Airfield (12); 4 B-17s are lost and 159 damaged; 3 airmen are WIA and 37 WIA. ...||12/02/2009||1,587|
|29 April 1944|
Target: Submarine Pens, Toulon Harbor, France
This mission took the Group on its first trip to France and to a target in the sixth country of Europe which the group bombed during the month of April. This was the first mission on which the 451st, 461st and the 484th flew as the groups of the 49th Bombardment Wing. The mission provided another new ex...