Egyptian pyramids, Nazca lines, etc.|
| ||Name||Rating||Date Added||Downloads|| |
|The Bewcastle Cross is an Anglo-Saxon high cross located in Cumbria, England. The cross dates from the late 7th or early 8th century and features inscriptions in the runic alphabet. The head of the cross is missing but the remains are 14.5 feet (4.4 meters) high.|
|Bewcastle Roman Fort was a Roman fort, built to the north of Hadrian's Wall as an outpost fort and intended for scouting and intelligence. The Roman name for the fort was Fanum Cocidi (as recorded in the Ravenna Cosmography), and means 'The Shrine of Cocidius', a deity worshipped in northern Britain. The remains of the fort are situated at the village of Bewcastle, Cumbria, 7 miles (11 km) to t...||11/03/2009||230|
|Binchester Roman Fort (called Vinovia by the Romans) is situated just over 1 mile (1.6 km) to the north of the town of Bishop Auckland on the banks of the River Wear in County Durham, England. The fort was the site of a hamlet until the late middle-ages, but the modern-day village of Binchester is about 2 miles (3 km) to the east, near Spennymoor.|
The fort was established to guar...
|Aesica (with the modern name of Great Chesters) was a Roman fort, one and a half miles north of the small town of Haltwhistle in Northumberland. It was the ninth fort on Hadrian's Wall, between Vercovicium (Housesteads) to the east and Magnis (Carvoran) to the west. Its purpose was to guard the Caw Gap, where the Haltwhistle Burn crosses the Wall. The B6318 Military Road passes about half a mil...||11/03/2009||202|
|Alauna (denoted for academic convenience as Alauna Carvetiorum, Alauna of the Carvetii, to distinguish it from other places with the same name), was a fort in the Roman province of Britannia. Today it is known as Maryport in the English county of Cumbria (formerly part of Cumberland).|
|Mamucium was a fort in the Roman province of Britannia. It is also known as Mancunium. The remains of the fort are protected as a Scheduled Ancient Monument, and are located within the Castlefield area of the City of Manchester, in North West England. Founded c. AD 79, Mamucium was garrisoned by a cohort of auxiliary soldiers and guarded the road running from Chester to York. A vicus, or civili...||11/03/2009||168|
|Trundle (Old English: Tryndel, meaning "circle") is an Iron Age hill fort on St. Roche's Hill about 3 miles (5 km) north of Chichester, Sussex, England. Trundle is one of just four hill forts built in Sussex. The fort was built around a Neolithic causewayed enclosure, of which very little can be seen on the ground.|
|Tregeseal East is a heavily restored prehistoric stone circle around one mile northeast of the town of St Just in Cornwall, United Kingdom. The nineteen granite stones are also known as The Dancing Stones. It is the one surviving circle of three that once stood aligned along an east-west axis on the hillside to the south of Carn Kenidjack.|
|Castleshaw Roman fort was a fort in the Roman province of Britannia. Although there is no evidence to substantiate the claim, it has been suggested that Castleshaw Roman fort is the site of Rigodunum, a Brigantian settlement. The remains of the fort are located on Castle Hill on the eastern side of Castleshaw Valley at the foot of Standedge but overlooking the valley. The hill is on the edge of...||11/03/2009||215|
|Chanctonbury Ring (known as Chanklebury in Sussex dialect) is a hill fort based ring of trees atop Chanctonbury Hill on the South Downs, on the border of the civil parishes of Washington and Wiston in the English county of West Sussex. A ridgeway, now part of the South Downs Way, runs along the hill.|
|The Bridestones consist of a chambered cairn, built in the Neolithic Stone Age, near Congleton, Cheshire, England. In 1764, the cairn was 100 metres long and 11 metres wide; it contained three separate compartments, of which only one remains today. The remaining compartment is 6 metres long by 2.7 metres wide, and consists of vertical stone slabs, divided by a now-broken cross slab. The cairn o...||11/03/2009||178|
|Boskednan stone circle is a partially restored prehistoric stone circle, around 4 miles (6 kilometres) northeast of the town of Penzance in Cornwall, United Kingdom. The megalithic monument is traditionally known as the Nine Maidens or Nine Stones of Boskednan, although the original structure may have contained as many as 22 upright stones around its 69 metre perimeter.|
|The Gop is a neolithic mound lying north of Trelawnyd in Flintshire, Wales. Oval in form, it is the second-largest such mound in Britain after Silbury Hill. Excavations have uncovered no burial chambers or other underground works. This may indicate that it was used as a look-out or hill fort; there is evidence that there was a considerable amount of stone on the top of hill. In the seventeenth ...||11/03/2009||234|
|The Tarr Steps are a prehistoric clapper bridge across the River Barle in the Exmoor National Park, Somerset, England. They are located in a National Nature Reserve about 2.5 miles (4 km) south east of Withypool and 4 miles (6 km) north west of Dulverton.|
A typical clapper bridge construction, the bridge possibly dates to around 1000 BC. The stone slabs weigh up to 5 tons apiece....
|Grimes Graves is a large Neolithic flint mining complex near Brandon in England close to the border between Norfolk and Suffolk. It was worked between around circa 3000 BC and circa 1900 BC, although production may have continued well into the bronze and Iron Ages (and later) owing to the low cost of flint compared with metals. Flint was much in demand for making stone axes in the Neolithic per...||11/01/2009||154|
|Barclodiad y Gawres (Welsh for apronful of the giantess) is a Neolithic burial chamber two miles north-west of Aberffraw on the island of Anglesey in North Wales, and on the Anglesey Coastal Path. It is an example of a cruciform passage grave, a notable feature being its decorated stones. It is cared for by the Welsh heritage organisation Cadw.|
|Bryn Celli Ddu is a prehistoric site on the Welsh island of Anglesey located near Llanddaniel Fab. Its name is difficult to translate directly but means either 'the mound in the dark grove' or possibly 'the mound in the grove of the deity'. It was plundered in 1699 and archaeologically excavated between 1928 and 1929.|
During the Neolithic period a stone circle and henge stood at ...
|Achavanich (Scottish Gaelic: Achadh a’ Mhanaich) is an unusual megalithic horseshoe-shaped structure. Meaning "field of the stones", 36 of the original 54 remain today, mostly on the western side of the structure. The arrangement of these stones is extremely rare as the slabs are pointing towards the centre of the circle, rather than the typical side-by-side arrangement. Although the site stood...||11/01/2009||213|
|Boscawen-Un is a Bronze age stone circle close to St Buryan in Cornwall, UK. It consists of 19 upright stones in an ellipse with diameters 24.9m and 21.9m, with another, leaning, stone just south of the centre. There is a west-facing gap in the circle, which may have formed an entrance.|
The leaning stone aligns exactly with the centre stone at the Mên-an-Tol and the church at nea...
|Kings Weston Roman Villa is a Roman villa near Lawrence Weston in the north west of Bristol. The villa was discovered during the construction of the Lawrence Weston housing estate in 1947. Two distinct buildings (Eastern and Western) were discovered, the Eastern building was fully excavated (in 1948-50), the other lies mostly below Long Cross road. Finds from the site are now held in the Bristo...||10/21/2009||217|
|Newport Roman Villa was a Romano-British farmhouse built in 280 AD. It is located near to Newport, Isle of Wight.|
It features one of the best preserved Roman bath suites with hypocaust underfloor heating. It was built around 1,700 years ago with local stone including flint, chalk, limestone and greensand with the walls remaining almost at their original height. The building wa...
|Lullingstone Roman Villa is a villa built during the Roman occupation of Britain, situated near the village of Eynsford in northwest Kent, south eastern England.|
It is unknown which family lived in the villa and owned the large estate that would have surrounded it, though they would have had to be wealthy. They may have been Roman, though they could also have been native Britons ...
|Littlecote Roman Villa is a Roman winged corridor villa and associated religious complex at Littlecote Park in the civil parish of Ramsbury in the English county of Wiltshire. It has been archaeologically excavated under the direction of Bryn Walters, and is on display to the public.|
The settlement may have begun life as a small short-lived military establishment guarding a cross...
|The Llantwit Major Roman Villa was a Roman L-shaped courtyard villa located at what is now Caermead, immediately north of the town of Llantwit Major in the Welsh county of South Glamorgan.|
The villa was first discovered in 1888 and was fully excavated between 1938 and 1948.
The site may have been first settled in the 1st century, but the first stone structure was n...
|Great Witcombe Roman Villa is the remains of a large Roman villa located on a hillside at Great Witcombe, near Gloucester in the English county of Gloucestershire.|
Excavated between 1960 and 1973 by the archaeologist Ernest Greenfield the ruins contain mosaics and a complex bathhouse. It is maintained by English Heritage.