Description: Breteuil Castle has remained the property of the same family since it was built between 1604 and 1610. Previously, the same site was occupied by Gallo-Roman villas and later by a medieval fortress, of which only the dovecote tour remains. The Breteuil family closely served the kings of France throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. The ground floor, used at the present time for receptions, is decorated with rare portraits of Kings, numerous portraits of ministers, ambassadors, high-ranking officers and bishops who lived at the time of the Kings Louis XV and Louis XVI. The influence of the court of Versailles under the Sun King can be seen in the sculptured woodwork, often guilded, and in the Gobelins tapestries, as well as in the furniture mainly located on the upper floor.