Description: "Place Saint-Lambert" constitutes the historical heart of the city of Liège. Until the beginning of the 19th century, it was occupied by several cathedrals successively destroyed and rebuilt. The latest was burned out in 1789 and cleared out in 1821.
In the 20th century the square became a crossing point for cars; so in the 60ies and 70ies numerous projects developed in order to transform it into big crossroads, sometimes underground, sometimes above the earth surface... During 30 years, the 'Place St-Lambert' works generated controversies and projects changes. The city was deprived of its heart for a long time.
The current geometry of the square reminds St-Lambert Cathedral that still rose up at the end of the 18th century. The high columns show the location of the outer pillars of the former building.