Description: Temple Bar marked the westernmost extent of the City of London on the road to Westminster, where Fleet Street becomes the Strand. Until 1878 this boundary was demarcated by a stone gateway. Commissioned by King Charles II, and designed by Sir Christopher Wren, this fine arch of Portland Stone was constructed between 1669 and 1672. In 1878 the Corporation of London, eager to widen the road but unwilling to destroy so historic a monument, dismantled it piece-by-piece and it was bought by the brewer Sir Henry Meux. He re-erected the arch as a gateway at his house, Theobalds Park (where it can be seen currently with Google Earth). In 2003 it was carefully dismantled again and returned to the City of London where it was re-erected as an entrance to the Paternoster Square redevelopment just north of St Paul's Cathedral.