Description: History San Jose Institutional History
1650 Senter Road
San Jose, CA 95112
In celebration of the centennial of the California Gold Rush and statehood, in 1949 the City of San Jose constructed a replica of the building in which the first state legislature met in 1850. This replica was later moved to the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds, and historical collecting began in earnest under the direction of Clyde Arbuckle an unpaid City Historian. In 1971 twelve acres at the south end of the city's largest park were dedicated to a history museum designed as a replica Victorian village.
Over the next 25 years, 26 historic and replica structures were relocated to, and constructed on, the site and managed as the "San Jose Historical Museum"Ł by City employees through the Regional Parks program. The Museum eventually accumulated the largest regional historical collection in the California. In the early 1970's the San Jose Historical Museum Association was founded to raise private funds in support of the museum. However, by 1996, the Association was operating a separate historic site, the City-owned Peralta Adobe and Fallon House, as a totally separate institution.
At the City's initiation, between 1994 and 1998, the Association evolved into a full operating organization re-named the Historical Museums of San Jose (HMSJ). HMSJ signed a thirty-year Agreement to manage both the city-owned Historical Museum and the Peralta Adobe-Fallon House Historic Site. By April 1998, HMSJ began hiring a totally new professional staff. Under the terms of the Agreement, the City retains ownership of all collections received to that date, buildings, and grounds. Title to any collections acquired after April 1998 rests with the new organization. HMSJ assumed responsibility for daily management and operations, for which the City provides an annual subsidy of approximately $1 million.
From the beginning, the new organization renamed "History San Jose"Ł in 2000, has been passionately committed to expanding service and access to the broadest possible community.
Peralta Adobe/Fallon House
175 W St John St,
San Jose, CA 95110
The Peralta Adobe is San Jose's oldest address. Built in 1797, the Peralta Adobe is the last remaining structure from El Pueblo de San Jose de Guadalupe. See the Adobe's horno , an outside working oven or venture inside the home and see two rooms furnished as they might have been when they were occupied by the Gonzales and Peralta families.
The exquisite Fallon House was built in 1855 by one of San Jose's earliest mayors. The Victorian mansion showcases 15 fully furnished rooms typical of the Victorian period. Learn about Thomas Fallon, a frontiersman in the John C. Fremont expedition, and Carmel Fallon, the daughter of one of the most prominent Mexican landowners in California.