Description: Radio Luxembourg (1933-1992) was an important forerunner of pirate radio and modern commercial radio in Europe. It was a cheap and effective way to advertise in the UK, France and (since 1957) in Germany by circumventing the broadcasting restrictions in place at the time. During World War II the Germans used the station to transmit propaganda including fabricated news stories delivered by William Joyce ('Lord Haw-Haw'). The station reached its peak in the 1950s after it switched its wavelength to 208 metres (1439 kHz, later 1440) the number with which it became synonymous. By the 1980s Luxembourg claimed to be broadcasting with 1.3 megawatts, making it the world's single most powerful commercial broadcaster in the medium wave range, at least in terms of individual transmitter power. But by the late 80s more and more listeners were switching to stereo FM radio as this offered much better sound quality and this spelled the end for the English 1440 AM service which was shut down on December 30th 1991. But now the RTL Group is using the new DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale) technology to re-launch Radio Luxembourg in English on several short wave frequencies, notably 7145 KHz, from the RTL studios in Luxembourg.