Description: Drum Castle is a castle near Banchory, in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
The original 13th century tower of Drum Castle is the work of medieval architect Richard Cementarius and is believed to be one of the three oldest towers in Scotland. A large wing was added in 1619 by the 9th laird, and other alterations made in the Victorian era.
The castle and its grounds were granted to William Irvine in 1323 by Robert the Bruce, and remained in the possession of Clan Irvine until 1975. Drum played an important role in the Covenanting Rebellion, leading to it being attacked and plundered three times.
The castle is surrounded by late 18th century gardens, including a fine rose garden and arboretum containing trees from all corners of the 18th century British Empire.
Today, the castle is owned by the National Trust for Scotland and is open to tourists during the summer months. The chapel, dining hall and estate may be hired for weddings and corporate functions. A wide variety of local events such as classic car rallies and musical fetes also take place at Drum.