Description: The fort, with an area of 3.7 ha on the former “Burgfeld” (Fortress Field, present-day area name: Denzenfeld) was probably the garrison of the Cohors IX Batavorum, which numbered a thousand men. The stone fort forms a slightly offset rectangle with side lengths of 197 m x 191 m.
The installation of a military camp in Ruffenhofen possibly dates back to the last years of the 1st century AD. Excavations were carried out by Kohl in 1892 on behalf of the Reichs-Limeskommission. Since this initial survey no further scientific excavations have taken place. The State Office for Monument Conservation has been carrying out extensive geophysical prospecting investigation since 1999.
The remains of the Roman installations are located around 600 m to the south-east of Ruffenhofen on a flat ridge above the valley of the Wörnitz. On site, only the topographical form of the terrain is perceptible. Remains are not recognisable. Aerial photographs and extensive geophysical prospecting, however, make it possible to state the extension of the area and structure of vicus and fort (investigations resulting from the reallocation of areas also document the extension to the south-west).
The course of a water pipeline cuts across the region of the vicus to the south, in front of the fort area. In addition, the commercial road network and the drainage system have had an impact on the area of the settlement. The “Entwicklungsgesellschaft Region Hesselberg mbH” (Development Company of the Hesselberg Region), supported by the Free State of Bavaria, is currently making efforts to protect and preserve the whole archaeological monument, particularly by purchasing areas used agriculturally and transforming them into meadowland.