Description: Fort Snelling is located at the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers in Hennepin County, Minnesota. Constructed between 1820 and 1825 as Fort St. Anthony. It received the name Fort Snelling upon its completion in honor of Colonel Josiah Snelling, who commanded the regiment that built it, and oversaw its construction. Snelling was considered to be a reasonable commander—when he was sober. He was susceptible to becoming angry when drunk, and he left the installation in 1827 when recalled to Washington. He died a year later from complications due to dysentry. The fort saw service through World War II, being de-commissioned on October 15, 1946.