Description: The first of the coastal fortifications were built by Grandmaster Aloph de Wignacourt in 1610. A total of seven towers were built by Wignacourt at St. Paul Bay (1609), Marsaxlokk (St. Lucianís Tower - 1610), St Thomas Bay (1614), Marsalforn (Gozo - 1616) Comino (St. Maryís Tower - 1618), and Sta. Maria Delle Grazie (1620). These towers were large squarish structures which were more like small forts in form and use rather than simple lookout posts. These massive structures were built to dominate the coastline, mounting batteries of heavy artillery on their roofs and garrisoned by sizable detachments in times of war. Here again the concept of cause and effect is so evident: St. Thomas' Tower (Marsascala) was built after a Razzia because it exposed the limitations of the defence of that area.