Description: The Golubac fortress (Serbian: Голубачки град or Golubački grad) is located near the town of Golubac in north-eastern Serbia, on the right side of the Danube river, and marks the entrance to the Djerdap national park. It was most likely built during the 14th century, and it is a rather large and well-preserved fortress among those of its time and geographical location.
Golubac was built by Hungarians in the 14th century. The fortress has nine towers between 20 and 25 meters high, five of which belong to the older and four to the younger phase of building. They are connected by fortress walls with an average width of 2.8 m. The fortress is strategically located on the embankment of the Danube river where it narrows to form the Iron Gate gorge, allowing for the regulation of traffic across and along the river. A long chain would be stretched across the river, barring passage to ships unless they were deemed worthy of passage and paid a passage tax.
Fort Golubac was the site of many battles, resulting in the town changing hands many times until 1815, with Turks, Hungarians, Serbs, and Austrians taking turns in ruling the town. The fortress is presently situated between the cities of Golubac and Kladovo, on modern-day border with Romania, and is a popular tourist attraction in the region as well as a sightseeing point on popular Danube boat tours.