Description: Stalag Luft 1 was situated at Barth, Germany, a small town on the Baltic Sea 23 kilometers northwest of Stralsund.
Stalag Luft One opened as a camp for British officers late in 1942, American Airmen began to arrive early in 1943. By January 1944, the camp had been split into two compounds each with seven barracks, the South (Officers) and the West (Enlisted men). As the numbers of American Airmen being sent to the camp increased a new North compound was added in February 1944 with the North 2 and North 3 compounds being added in September and December 1944.
In May of 1945 the camp was liberated by the advancing Russian Army. The German guards had abandoned the camp of nearly 9,000 prisoners a few days prior to the liberation.
After the war, the camp was fully dismantled. Today the only sign of the camp is a memorial plaque mounted on a large stone.
Photos and more information: