Description: Built in 1898 into the dunes on the north end of Wassaw, it was part of the Endicott system of coastal forts. Today, erosion has removed the dunes, and high tides now are working against the remains of the fort—a huge, slumping block of poured concrete, oyster tabby, and North Georgia granite—which probably won't see a second 100 years. Constructed by civilians supervised by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers under 24-year-old Second Lieutenant Henry Sims Morgan, this fort was part of the military buildup that produced Fort Screven on the north end of Tybee. Armed with two 4.7-inch rapid-fire guns, it was the largest single fortification built in Georgia specifically for the Spanish-American War, and it was designed to protect the southern approach to Savannah by way of the Wilmington River. Lieutenant Morgan was later assigned to help build the batteries on the north end of Tybee, where he lost his life attempting to rescue shipwrecked sailors in Tybee Roads during the hurricane of 1898. Some historians have suggested the battery be named Fort Morgan in his honor. A monument dedicated to him is found in the parking lot of the Tybee Island Museum.