Description: Fort Tyler: 1898, Suffolk County, Gardiner's Island.
Transferred to the War Department in 1898 and converted into a small coastal defense positions on the tip of Gardiner's Island at the entrance to Gardiner's Bay.
Closed in the late 1920s.
Status of batteries in 1921 was: Battery Smith, 2 - 8" Disappearing, 2 - 5" Pedestal.
Used as a Naval bombing range during WW2. Sold to private interests after the war.