Description: During World War II, the strategically important dam and plant were partially destroyed by retreating Soviet troops in 1941, and then again by the retreating German troops in 1943. In the end the dam was heavily damaged, and the powerhouse hall was nearly destroyed. Both were rebuilt between 1944 and 1949. Power generation was restarted in 1950. In 1969-80, the second powerhouse was built with a planned production capacity of 836 MW.