Description: This sculpture by H.W. Bissen was made 1858 to honour the brave danish soldiers who won the battle of Fredericia against Prussia in 1848 to 1850.
It was financed by a countrywide collection of money that began the day after the end of the victory and Bissen was aware of it was the soldiers who were the heroes, not the generals.
The sculpture itself is 3.75 meters tall, the granite foot is 2.5 meters. Around the sculpture are 6 168 pound mortars, 2 of them are captured prussian mortars.
This was in fact also the first monument in the world to honour an unknown soldier.