Description: The Queen's Sconce, named in respect of Charles loyal wife Queen Henrietta who passed through Newark in June 1643, and part of the pair of sconces guarding the town, covered an area a little over 3 acres. It is square with arrow head bastions at each corner, "surrounded by a large ditch up to 30 feet wide and between 12 and 15 feet deep, with a flat bottom and steep sides.' The whole construction is nearly 300 feet across. The sconce is constructed of local gravel but the steep angle of repose suggests that it was reinforced in some way. The mass of the sconce was designed to absorb the impact of cannon fire and its' shape deflect cannon balls. It is likely to have had an earthen parapet to protect troops and gun emplacements, and timber storm poles projecting horizontally from the bastions to deter access by foot soldiers. Cannon would have been located in the arrow head bastions to provide flanking lines of fire. A timber drawbridge was the most likely means of access for troops, stores and ammunition. The Sconce was manned in rotation by sections of troops stationed outside the garrison.