Description: XIIth, XVth, XVIth, XVIIth castle. Built on the place of a XIth century medieval fortress (been attested under the name of "Birontium"), this castle underwent numerous damages as show the various types of its architecture. In fact every century, between the XIIth and the XVIIIth, left its mark on this monumental edifice which, in spite of the juxtaposition of buildings, offers an exceptional architectural collection.
We can admire the XIIth century keep, the XIIIth and XIVth carved ramparts and terraces, the XVIth Renaissance style double floor chapel in which are two graves with XVIth century recumbent effigy , a main courtyard accessible by a staircase and a nose cones arched corridor, a XVIth seigneurial building compound of rooms restored and decorated with Renaissance style windows, an immense arched kitchen, a big "Room of the States" (the careened woodwork of which was restored in the XXth) and many other wonders.
The Gontaut family held the castle of the family Rudel de Bergerac. This castle stayed during 24 generations within the family Gontaut-Biron, from the XIIth century to 1938, then became property of the family Copper-Royer. Nowadays, it is property of the county.