Description: This castle, built in the XIIIth century, by the Barriere family is a ancient noble den been attested in 1312. It played a major role during the One hundred years war.
It became property of the Lur family in 1448. During the Religious wars, Jeanne de Lur, become a Huguenot, transformed the chapel into a temple which would have received the visit of Calvin. The castle was besieged a bit further, as well as in 1591.
The great historian Wilgrin of Taillefer was born there a little bit before the Revolution. Then the castle slowly falled into decay.
In 1980, a tower collapsed after the passage of a supersonic plane, whereas another tower was poured into concrete to avoid its fall. Only an inventory of 1559
allows us to be made an idea of the magnificence of this house.
Leaned in the enormous rampart, the castle rests on a Romanic tower with flat foothills and presents a XVth lodging house of which floors are served by a polygonal tower of staircase. This building offered a complex plan including curtains, barbacane with drawbridge, composed lodging house with towers, square keep, chapel, vast outbuildings and stables, all of this bristled of machicolation.
From all these XIIIth, XVth and XVIth buildings, alone remains the keep, a ruined lodging house, a vaulted cellar and a big circular tower.
We still can admire the flamboyant decoration of the gate, the bays with transoms and the moulded fireplaces.