Description: XIIth, XIVth, XVIth and XVIIth castle. Built on a succession of rocky terraces, this former fortified town possesses a triple enclosure which conjugates the rigour of warfare techniques with the elegance of the Renaissance era.
To enter, we pass the first chatelet of the XVIIth, formerly preceded by a drawbridge, which leads to the first enclosure
flanked with circular towers and spurred bastions.
We pass then under the second chatelet which leads up to a polygonal enclosure in the middle of which rises the castle.
It consists of a main building of the XVth flanked of XVIth wings in set-square and of circular towers in penetration.
Roofs had preserved their cover of lauzes.
Inside, we can admire a staircase with double development. At Last, higher, we reach the third enclosure which constituted the ultimate line of defence in case of siege. In the XVIIth, the system of fortifications underwent important transformations.
In this house had lived the Salignac-Fenelon, family of diplomats, soldiers and bishops among whom the archbishop of Cambrai, Francois de Salignac de la Mothe-Fenelon (1651-1715), author of "Telemaque" and the " Treaty of the education ".