Description: From the IXth century, a first fortress belongs to the viscounts of Limoges. In the XIIth, this castle belonged to turbulent troubadour Bertrand de Born.
Several constructions were successively built of which few tracks are remaining (tower in the western angle of the yard).
During the One hundred years war, in 1335, the castle is occupied by the English, but it changes hands several times to become again French in 1406.
During the Religious wars the castle remained catholic and defensive elements were added among which a drawbridge and a chatelet of entrance flanked by two carved watchtowers.
In the XVIth, Jean-Francois de Hautefort, who wished to honor his sister Marie by whom was secretly in love king Louis XIII, began the reconstruction of the castle.
Forty years of efforts, from 1630 to 1670 were necessary. The works were successively driven by the architects Nicolas Rambourg, then Jacques Maigret who succeeded him after his death.
In the Revolution, the inhabitants of Hautefort prevented its destruction by the national guards of Excideuil.
In 1929, the castle was acquired by the baron Henry de Bastard. His wife entrusted it to a Foundation created in 1990.