Description: XVth, XVIth castle. It is the most Italian castles of Périgord. It is constituted by a mainf building in the typical defensive architecture of the Middle Ages, dating the XIVth, on which comes to be transplanted an elegant
building of the Renaissance style built during the Religious war, between 1570 and 1604.
The architecture is inspired by the Louvre built by Pierre Lescot: a political gesture which allowed the builder,
Galiot de la Tour d'Auvergne, to proclaim his fidelity to the Valois in front of Protestant strengths of the region.
We can admire harmonious composition of the facades the four levels of which are underlined by headbands, remarkable attic windows with transoms as well as extraordinary sculptured roofs chimneys.
Inside, two magnificent fireplaces of the Renaissance, one in rounded posts, the other one in vertical posts.
The collections of the scientist Alexis de Gourgues are presented in one of the lounges of the castle, as well
as an exhibition on the everyday life in the Middle Ages and in the Renaissance.
This castle was built over a curious system of cluzeaux and wells which communicated between them and whose some fragments still remain.
Until the XIVth, this former noble den depended on the chatellenie of Beaumont. Afterward, it was untied from
it to form a new chatellenie constituted by four parishes.
It is the Marshal of Bouillon who decided on the construction of the Renaissance castle. We can even see
today the impacts of the first cannonballs which riddled the walls of the building during a skirmish in 1577.