Description: A Twentieth Century coastal battery and associated pillbox, tank trap and military building are visible as a series of structures on air photographs. Some of the features are visible on the latest 1988-1993 Ordnance Survey vertical photography. These features represent the northernmost area of Blyth Battery, a coastal artillery battery situated on South Beach, Blyth. The battery was constructed in August 1916 by the Durham Fortress Engineers RE and was operational in February 1918, manned by the Tynemouth Royal Garrison Artillery. During the interwar period the battery was incorporated into beach amenities and one of the buildings converted into public toilets. The battery was recommissioned in 1940 and manned by A Battery, 510 Coast Regiment RA (TA). By April 1944 it was manned by the Home Guard.