Description: There are references to Kahuku as an emergency field dating to the 1930's, but it was not until the United States entered World War II that the airfield was developed. Kahuku Army Airfield was classified as an auxiliary field and had a very short life span, from 1942 until it was closed in the late 1940's. Ground troops were stationed in the area to protect the airfield and man the shoreline fortifications. The northern tip of Oahu had a total of three airfields in close proximity during World War II. The Kahuku Point Airfield was located near the tip of Kahuku Point, and was evidently the most elaborate. An August 20, 1942 aerial photo depicted it having a single paved runway by that point (Hawaiian, 2000). A 1943 USGS topo map depicted the "Kahuku Point" Airfield, as well as two others, further down the coast to the southeast labeled as "Kahuku Golf Course" & "Kahuku Village".