STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown. Mission 968: 589 bombers and 486 fighters fly the final heavy bomber mission against an industrial target, airfields and rail targets in SE Germany and Czechoslovakia; they claim 1-1-0 Luftwaffe aircraft (including an Ar 234 jet); 6 bombers and 1 fighter are lost:
1. 307 B-17s are sent to hit the airfield (78) and Skokda armament works at Pilsen, Czechoslovakia; 6 B-17s are lost, 4 damaged beyond repair and 180 damaged; 8 airmen are WIA and 42 MIA. Escorting are 188 of 206 P-51s.
2. 282 B-24s are sent to hit marshalling yards at Salzburg (109), Bad Reichenhall (56) and Hallein (57) and electrical transformers at Traunstein (56); 20 B-24s are damaged; 1 airman is WIA. The escort is 203 of 216 P-51s; they claim 1-0-0 aircraft in the air.
3. 17 of 19 P-51s fly a sweep of the Prague-Linz area claiming 0-1-0 aircraft in the air; 1 P-51 is lost.
4. 17 of 19 P-51s fly a screening mission.
5. 4 P-51s escort 2 OA-10s on an air-sea-rescue mission.
6. 22 P-51s escort 5 F-5s on photo reconnaissance missions over Germany and Czechoslovakia.
Comments: You need to register or log-in to be able to leave comments about this file.
This file has not yet been rated.
Sorry, but you must be logged in to rate this file so we can tell which files you've already voted on, which will help prevent cheating. Click here to log-in, or you can click here to register. (Registration is free)