Description: STRATEGIC OPERATIONS (Eighth Air Force): 2 missions are flown.
Mission 968: 589 bombers and 486 fighters fly the final heavy bomber
mission against an industrial target, airfields and rail targets in SE
Germany and Czechoslovakia; they claim 1-1-0 Luftwaffe aircraft (including
an Ar 234 jet); 6 bombers and 1 fighter are lost:
1. 307 B-17s are sent to hit the airfield (78) and Skokda armament works
at Pilsen, Czechoslovakia; 6 B-17s are lost, 4 damaged beyond repair and
180 damaged; 8 airmen are WIA and 42 MIA. Escorting are 188 of 206 P-51s.
2. 282 B-24s are sent to hit marshalling yards at Salzburg (109), Bad
Reichenhall (56) and Hallein (57) and electrical transformers at Traunstein
(56); 20 B-24s are damaged; 1 airman is WIA. The escort is 203 of 216
P-51s; they claim 1-0-0 aircraft in the air.
3. 17 of 19 P-51s fly a sweep of the Prague-Linz area claiming 0-1-0
aircraft in the air; 1 P-51 is lost.
4. 17 of 19 P-51s fly a screening mission.
5. 4 P-51s escort 2 OA-10s on an air-sea-rescue mission.
6. 22 P-51s escort 5 F-5s on photo reconnaissance missions over Germany
7. 88 of 98 P-51s escort RAF bombers.
Mission 969: During the night of 25/26 Apr, 11 B-24s drop leaflets in
France, the Netherlands and Germany. 12 B-24s and 1 A-26 are dispatched on
CARPETBAGGER missions to Norway; 7 aircraft complete the mission.
Comments: You need to register or log-in to be able to leave comments about this file.
This file has not yet been rated.
Sorry, but you must be logged in to rate this file so we can tell which files you've already voted on, which will help prevent cheating. Click here to log-in, or you can click here to register. (Registration is free)