Description: From 1864 to 1920 the Danish area "Sønderjylland", including the city Tønder, was part of Germany.
During the First World War the German Imperial Navy operated Zeppelin airships from Tønder. The base was placed a few kilometers north of the city and was virtually self-supporting with its own gas plant, heating central and waterworks.
The Zeppelin- and Garrison Museum in Tønder opened for the first time on May 8, 1999. The museum is situated in the vincinity of the old base and among the exhibits are the original propellers from of the airships.
The Museum also tells the story about the time as garrison city from 1920 to 2002 the Tonder Garrison was closed.