Description: In 1915 two army chaplains – Rev. P.S.B. 'Tubby' Clayton and Rev. Neville Talbot - acquired an old Belgian town house in Poperinghe, and converted it for their own use as a veritable ‘oasis’ out of the line for troops going to and from the trenches. They named it ‘Talbot House’ after Neville’s brother and Clayton’s friend, Lieutenant Gilbert Talbot of the Rifle Brigade who was killed at Hooge in July 1915. Inside the house they had a library, a cinema in the cellar, a concert hall, a tea room and in the Hop Loft a large chapel where religious services were held on a regular basis.