Description: (Jardim Botânico da Universidade de Coimbra or simply Jardim Botânico) is a botanic garden in Coimbra, Portugal.
It was founded in 1772-1774 and it was integrated in the Natural History Museum established by the Marquis of Pombal.
The place for the Hortus Botanicus was chosen by the vice-chancellor of the University of Coimbra (Francisco de Lemos) and it was part of the farm of S. Bento's College, located at the Ursulinas Valley.
Domingos Vandelli was the first supervisor for the orientation of the Garden, being followed in 1791 by Félix Avelar Brotero, professor of Botany and Agriculture.
The area of the Garden, which has been enlarged, reaches the 13 hectares it occupies at present.