Description: Newport Roman Villa was a Romano-British farmhouse built in 280 AD. It is located near to Newport, Isle of Wight.
It features one of the best preserved Roman bath suites with hypocaust underfloor heating. It was built around 1,700 years ago with local stone including flint, chalk, limestone and greensand with the walls remaining almost at their original height. The building was roofed with massive slabs of Bembridge limestone which needed large roof timbers to support them. Many of these roof slabs had a distinctive shape, pierced with a single hole to take a nail, were found on the site.
The discovery of fragments of window glass on the site shows that the building had some glazed windows, and remains of painted wall plaster during excavation show that at least some of the rooms had brightly coloured interior walls.
The furnace for heating the bath suite was outside the back wall of the villa at the end of the bath wing, and a servant would have been responsible for providing it with fuel. The hot air from the furnace passed through an arch at the base of the villa's back wall and circulated under the raised floors of the three rooms.
It was first discovered in 1926 when the owner of a nearby house laid foundations for a garage. The site was excavated and the ground plan of the villa house was uncovered.