Description: Barpa Langass (also known as Langass Barp or Langash Barp), is a chambered cairn on the Isle of North Uist in the Outer Hebrides. It measures about 72 feet in diameter by 18 feet in height, and it is attributable to the Neolithic age. The roof is constructed of two massive slabs with a third slab superimposed.
The entrance is at the east side. Although the structure has partially collapsed, it is still possible to enter one chamber. The antiquary Erskine Beveridge believed that a second and perhaps a third chamber exist. In or prior to 1911, Dr Beveridge excavated within and near the cairn, and he found evidence of burnt burials as well as pieces of pottery (some with patterned lines), wood ashes, burnt bones, a flint arrowhead, a scraper, and a piece of pierced talc.
It can be reached via footpath from the A867 about 5 miles southwest of Lochmaddy. Alternatively, one can park at the Langass Lodge Hotel, follow the footpath to the Pobull Fhinn stone circle, and then continue up Ben Langass to Barpa Langass.