Description: The Stadtschloss (German: Berliner Stadtschloss, rendered in English as Berlin City Palace), was a royal palace in the centre of Berlin, capital of Germany (1871-1945 capital of the German Reich, 1949-1990 in parts capital of East Germany, 1990 to date capital of reunifed Germany). It was the principal residence (winter residence) of the Kings of Prussia from 1701-1918 and of the German Emperors from 1871-1918. Following the fall of the German monarchies in 1918 it became a museum. It was damaged by Allied bombing in World War II. Although possible to repair at great expense, the palace was demolished in 1950 by GDR authorities, in spite of West German protests. Following the reunification of Germany, it was decided to rebuild the Stadtschloss.